Sign in to follow this  
will

Conversion

Reached a significant point in one of my bigger projects today, namely the steering wheel is now on the right side.. and working!! (it is a BMW btw..)

Have the pedal box, brakes and wiring to go. Wiring is a biggie so will be interesting to see if I survive it!

I will post the full detail of the conversion when I am finished, dozens of pics etc so anyone could attempt it if they felt up to it. Just one for now as an appetiser..

Andrew (the godfather, bowdown!), seeing there are a number of fairly significant conversions on the go at the moment (Riley's V8 for one), maybe we should have a separate section where members can post these up? Just a thought.. (hope you post yours up Riley, with plenty pics..)

Will

Have the pedal box, brakes and wiring to go. Wiring is a biggie so will be interesting to see if I survive it!

The Wiring Twisting should be easy for you with your skills mate [and those polygrips]

I thought I was pretty good at wiring, but I still haven't figured out how to measure the Load Ratings of a wire using a vernier [see photo]

I've got a spare 'auto' RHD pedal box you can have,if you need it!

This conversion has involved removing numerous brackets from the lhs and donor car and replacing them on the rhs.

I thought I would show how to remove them easily without significantly damaging either the bracket or the body it is attached to.

(this can be used to remove body panels as well, the principle is the same..)

Brackets are normally spot-welded to the body, the easy way to remove them is to drill the weld so it is easy to remove.

Below is a pic showing the bracket I am removing for this conversion, it supports the bracket that mounts the brake booster. The spot welds are circled, most spot welds are visible like this (small dents in the surface). If you cant see them, scrape the paint off and they will normally appear.

Posted Image

Once you have located them, use a centre-punch and punch roughly the centre of the spot-weld. see pic, spot-welds circled.

Posted Image

The weld normally anneals (hardens) the metal, so I normally pilot drill the weld first with a small drill bit as a large one will battle to get traction. (You need to use a (final) bit that is roughly the same size as the spot-weld, I use one that is marginally smaller so as to minimise the damage). Pilot holes arrowed..

Posted Image

Then drill them with the bit roughly the same size as the weld..

Posted Image

Use a fine-pointed chisel, screwdriver and hammer gently between the bracket and the body near the welds, they will snap quite easily if you have managed to drill most of the weld away. If it is stubborn, try a slightly bigger drill bit.. here using a screwdriver (arrowed), you can see the bracket separating from the body.. (there are another 3 spot-welds underneath which I have also drilled)

Posted Image

Next pic shows bracket coming away, still held a bit by one of the welds underneath..

Posted Image

Finally, bracket off, showing the body of the car where it was, no damage except for a few holes..

Posted Image

and the bracket, also undamaged..

Posted Image

when you re-weld the bracke to it's new position, these drill-holes are the perfect spot to use to weld the bracket back to the body. I use a tig welder to do this as it doesn't create much heat to warp the metal.. You can then add some welds around the edge of the bracket for more strength if you wish. Final pic showing the bracket in the spot where I will weld it...

Posted Image

Hope this is useful to any of you doing repairs or conversions like me..

Will

The Wiring Twisting should be easy for you with your skills mate [and those polygrips]

I thought I was pretty good at wiring, but I still haven't figured out how to measure the Load Ratings of a wire using a vernier [see photo]

I've got a spare 'auto' RHD pedal box you can have,if you need it!

hey Kerry

havn't figured where the pile of brown bottles next to the car goes either..??? :unsure:

Will

Will looks good mate, ill be using that method now lol. Very smart, i like the sound of the conversion section to

Thats a 2002, but what is the schnitzer exhuast from?

same car..

all im going to say is that it is badass and you will see it at the end of feb!!

Will, is this where the M10 turbo is going???

not into this one Graeme. thinking of an e21 body for it..