Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

X5's

Im thinking of trading the Scooby wagon for one (and shock horror maybe the 7 aswell) but other than loving the look of them I know very little.

Anyone have details on facelift years, the best engines (I know lots about the 4.4 obviously but Im keen to learn about the diesels too), normal vs sport models, what sort of toys I can expect, etc.

Anyone own one, or have personal experience of them ?

Yes I know Ive previously had a 'negative' viewpoint on 4x4's but medical reasons mean that we need something taller than a wagon because getting kids in and out of the Scooby is not as easy as it looks when your both 6' plus, the seat belts are in the center of the rear seat and one of you has a knackered back :(

I dont want an Odyssey and I dont want a tank like a Prado. If my 7 has to go then I want something with class to replace it.

Yea, im with sparkle. 7's are better than X5's.

As far as I know all models have tvs, and are pretty highly spec'ed. If you're going for a 3 litre, go for the desiel - more torque. The sports models are the 4.6is which was produced until around 2003-2004 when they changed the engine to the 4.8is, they facelifted it about 2004. The sports models will have the sports suspension, M sport wheels and bodykit, not sure what other parts are different. If you have any other questions just post them.

Quote:

2004 4.4i

Although the engine is the same size as the previous 4.4-liter V-8, the new version includes updated variable cam timing and variable-length air-intake runners for better response. The obvious benefits are 25 more horsepower and an almost 15-percent improvement in EPA fuel economy numbers (from 14/18 to 16/22). The overall feel of the 4900-pound X5 is noticeably lighter than the previous setup.

Nick.

Martyyn if you're interested Pm me your address and I will send you a 100 page promotional book with all engine options, comfort options, etc so you can see what options are available.

Nick.

Edited by Nick021

Good on you mate.

Petrol 3.0's fuel consumption somehow is close to the 4.4.

Unless you're doing lots of ks you'd be better of with the 4.4 compared to the 3.0d as it depreciates more due to the perception people have with the big engine.

Wide screen TV is available from 4.4 2001 onwards, very rare for a 3.0 or 3.0d to have TV unless it's a Jap imports.

Diesel arrived in NZ on 2002.

I think the best time to buy will be when the new model has been in NZ for a few months as there'll be more and more people trading up (unless you're getting the new model).

Have looked at ML270 CDIs? No as highly spec'ed as X5 but 7-seater....

Edited by 318Touring

Good on you mate.

Petrol 3.0's fuel consumption somehow is close to the 4.4.

Unless you're doing lots of ks you'd be better of with the 4.4 compared to the 3.0d as it depreciates more due to the perception people have with the big engine.

Wide screen TV is available from 4.4 2001 onwards, very rare for a 3.0 or 3.0d to have TV unless it's a Jap imports.

Diesel arrived in NZ on 2002.

I think the best time to buy will be when the new model has been in NZ for a few months as there'll be more and more people trading up (unless you're getting the new model).

Or have you looked at a pre-fl ML55 AMG?

Seriosuly thought the Merc trucks are pretty fantabulous.

fast 4x4 are scary as hell, i would take a high spec diesel a. i mean are you really looking for performance out of a 4x4. like my dads got a ford territory turbo, and all its power is just pointless, just driving normal you have to really concentrate on the speed your going into a corner, it really creeps up on you.

my mates mum has a really high spec'd x5, a real nice car, and a good option if you go the 4x4 route

I no its off the thread but Ive driven the new R63 AMG alot and all i can say is it was epic. the new powerplant is a 6.3-liter naturally aspirated V8 that produces 503 horsepower and 465 lb.-ft. of torque for zero to 60 mph test track times in about five seconds. One of the most powerful production V8s ever.

post-204-1170660909_thumb.jpg

Go for the 4.8is in that Blue, you would never roll that unless you were thrashing it around a corner. And ofcourse because it looks the best and is the top of the range.

The sport models are also pretty highly spec'ed

Posted Image

I no its off the thread but Ive driven the new R63 AMG alot and all i can say is it was epic. the new powerplant is a 6.3-liter naturally aspirated V8 that produces 503 horsepower and 465 lb.-ft. of torque for zero to 60 mph test track times in about five seconds. One of the most powerful production V8s ever.

That thing, is a joke. I mean an R Class with a 6.3 engine in it.I just laughed when our company was told about it.

SL65 is where its at, Aye Frank and Mike :)

That thing, is a joke. I mean an R Class with a 6.3 engine in it.I just laughed when our company was told about it.

SL65 is where its at, Aye Frank and Mike :)

I have to say its dam ugly to, i told frank that the day he got it an he was not happy lol he almost didnt give me the keys.

I do love the SL65 it one of my all time favs

Hey Martyn,

Seems everyone is giving advice without having had the benefit of experience, first matter to address & sorry for this Em, don't touch the ML55 with a ten foot barge pole, if you want to drive a glorified Pajero with more grunt than talent this is the ideal machine, drove one back to back from Akl to Taupo via the back way through Te Awamutu, Kehi kehi etc, and except for have heaps of grunt on the staights the ML55 was no match for the X5 3.0td I had the joy of using as my Co. car for 2 years, on top of that my passengers in the ML complained of feeling sick within 20 - 30 mins of travel, might add that X5 was standard spec, not sport. Having had the use of a 3.0 petrol in Aus for a couple of weeks, I would recommend picking the td over the petrol, in real world driving there is not much in it, the deisel actually being quicker in most cases, except when being rung out, some thing you do have to do frequently in the 3.0 petrol as it lacks a little in torque, still a magic sound though. If you really want grunt go for a 4.6 or 4.8 is, 4.8 is the later version think it was late 05 early 06, not too sure, closest thing to an auto m5 you will find in the bmw range, ride is pretty harsh but the power and speed is fantastic. If you wanted the best to go for I would recommend the facelift 3.0 td or 4.4 with the sportspac, bigger wheels, firmer suspension, better seats and often higher spec'd from new, GPS etc.

I have spent a fair bit of time behind the wheel of all of the variants, my own personal choice would be a manual td with sportpac and rechipped for approx 230 - 250 hp + a tonne of torque.

I used to regularly tow our 24 ft boat behind the X5, and old and heavy boat at that, my mate with his smaller lighter boat behind his VY V8 would complain that he couldnt keep up & he had a very heavy foot, on top of that I would regularly beat another mad mate down to Taupo in the X5 when he was driving my VY SS and I'd still get around 900 kms out of a tank in the bmw.

I currently have as my daily driver a e38 740 and have to say that there are very few areas the 740 would excel the X5, interior space and outright accelleration are the only two that really come to mind.

Go the X5 and I'd be very very surprised if you ever for one moment regreted it.

Happy hunting, you are currently spoilt for choice in the market place.

Cheers Grant

Thanks Grant, just the sort of info Im after.

Im not looking for all out speed and performance, I need something that both the wife and I can get our two kids into their seats easily enough without breaking our backs anymore than they already are.

After going from a e32 750il to the e38 740 Im well used to having the power available on a drive if I feel the need, but ultimately Im not doing that very often. Were in Wellington and my wife will be driving it most of the time around the Wellington hills.

Surprisingly enough the 740 is no more thristy than the 2l twin turbo scooby, and if I sell both the scooby and the 740 to finance it then I wouldnt mind a 4.4, I find the torque much more beneficial when going around the hills.

Im also conscious of price and certainly cant afford the 80k beasts that are about at the moment. I dont mind something a little older as long as it has all the toys. Im also looking at prices in Japan it looks like I could save a bit of cash bringing it in myself.

?

A TV program about how dangerous 4x4 is. Will focus on the ones without any active safety features apart from ABS.

As we know all 4x4 will be categorised into one basket, without mentioning that '00 X5 has more safety features than '07 Holden while they cost around the same.

Hopefully will be able to see the self-proclaimed car expert (Clive Matthew-Wilson) telling everyone to buy Toyotas, because BMWs are for yuppies.

See here for an article from Stuff.

I've uploaded a number scans about X5 from BMWCar, click here here to download.

Keep me posted, as we're on the same path (maybe :-)).

Go X5!!!!

Edited by 318Touring

Hey Martyyn

Think Jazzbass is referring to the doco. on 4x4's being dangerous, but with all due respect Jassbass, X5 is a very different dynamic beast to the run of the mill 4x4, don't forget the X5 is really a glorified station wagon with permanent all wheel drive as opposed to a true purpose built separate chassis 4x4 off road vehicle. Tiff Needle put a 4.8si round a race track and it was quicker than a Civic typeR !! BMW built the X5 to have the same level of driving dynamics and handling ability as all other vehicle in their portfolio, just read any write up on one in any mag Jassbass and you'll get an idea of the vehicles ability.

Martyyn, if your looking for something that makes hills flat, do try the td, I used to find the momentary hesitation at take off a little annoying if I had been driving the SS for any length of time, but in reality it was actually quicker up to about 50 - 60 kms, it was just the sensation that was misleading. My one was pre-facelift so only had 184 HP, but had 500 NM to counter that, had great performance in the real world, rapid enough to overtake most anything, I often used to think after driving the SS for a while that the X5 was sluggish when overtaking, only to glance down at the speedo and find that I was travelling 20+ km's quicker than I anticipated, the td puts on speed deceptively, so be warned if you go for one of these. Great for load carrying too when needed, used to fit more into it than my brother in law could get into his current model explorer !!

If you do go for a td, and find you need more power, there are a number of chips available that take the h.p. up to 200 + as well as the expected increase in torque, factor on about $1200 - $2000 to do dependant on what one you go for.

There are a number of 4.4 available for mid 40's to 50's, I have seen a NZ new 131 km td for sale for $37, but it was snapped up pretty quick, there are a number of NZ new ones on the market at present in the above price range, would recommend you drive a standard spec and a sport back to back to see which one you prefer.

Cheers Grant

318Touring, thanks for the scanning that article. I think I may have that magazine somewhere so I will try and dig it out. Although it might have been the TBMW version.

Grant, I am very tempted by the diesel. There are plenty of them about in the UK and thats why I asked the question. Having the 740 means I know plenty about the 4.4 and around the hills its brilliant. On the flat its incredible, but this isnt going to be used for drag racing.

I need something taller than a wagon so we dont break our backs getting the kids in (If you dont know what I mean try standing on the side of your car with your back pressed against the inside of the roof with your head in the middle of the car!).

Jazz, yes Im well aware of the dangers of 4x4's and I have openly admitted in the past that I hate the Pajero's and the Prado's of this world and would be first in line to have them banned.

Unfortunately the need for something 'tall' is more important now. I will be driving as many vehicles as possible to get the best one I can find that suits us 'physically' and does not stretch my conscience too much.

Does anyone know if the rear seat belts go from the inside to the outside ?

The do on my 7 and its brilliant, but Ive only seen e34 tourings do it.

Hey Martyyn,

The diesel has greater torque than the 4.4, think you would be impressed with it. Seatbelts are standard configuration, don't ask me why, think the reverse belts are fantastic too. Friend of mine has X5 and two young kids, one in booster seat and one in car seat, she finds it the best vehicle ever for ease of putting kids in and has no probs. with kids seats, no more sore backs in that household !!

Sorry if I'm coming across as a speed freak, just trying to point out that you won't feel too left behind performance wise in comparo to your current beastie.

FYI she was hit in the rear by a light truck, wrote off the truck, damaged the bumper and tweaked the rear quarter on the x5, the only reason the x5 could not be driven away was due to a rear sensor being set off that shut the vehicle down, dealer had it running next morning and vehicle was fully drivable with no structural damage, most importantly though no damage to her or her son who was in the vehicle at the time.

There is a nice Silver 2001 4.4 Sportpac on trade me at the mo, NZ new, black leather, $50k, 107 km's from memory.

Cheers

wash your mouth out....

would love to try a manual deisel...remember the 530 d at jefGrays Martyn,did you drive it?.Go down to She...er Jeff Grays.With the Xpo on you never know....The E34 has the inside out seatbelts too

Hey Martyn,

Seems everyone is giving advice without having had the benefit of experience, first matter to address & sorry for this Em, don't touch the ML55 with a ten foot barge pole, if you want to drive a glorified Pajero with more grunt than talent this is the ideal machine, drove one back to back from Akl to Taupo via the back way through Te Awamutu, Kehi kehi etc, and except for have heaps of grunt on the staights the ML55 was no match for the X5 3.0td

I've only had the honour of reversing it out the car wash and a ride home in the ML55

So fo course Grant your advise would be much more valuable :)

Hey Em,

I would never disregard your advice as you are usually right on the button, I guess my dislike for the ML55 stems from being so disappointed in a vehicle I really wanted to like, it does have a fantastic motor and sounds great when wound out, but it just never felt as composed or secure as the x5 and as I say the x5 was standard, my dad had a ml320 years ago and I was totally underwhelmed with that too !! But give me an e55 and I'll be a happy man for the rest of my days !!

Hows your little gem going ? How many drivers have you blinded with the gleem coming off it ?

Sorry Em, meant no offence to anyone.

Cheers Grant

Sorry if I'm coming across as a speed freak, just trying to point out that you won't feel too left behind performance wise in comparo to your current beastie.

No not at all, I will certainly want something that will move along aswell. Especially if I give up the 740 for one !

There is a nice Silver 2001 4.4 Sportpac on trade me at the mo, NZ new, black leather, $50k, 107 km's from memory.

I saw that and if it was in Wellington I would be going to take a look. Not sure what I think about the aluminium inside but its growing on me.