Sign in to follow this  
arcon

E46 speaker sizes?

what are the speaker sizes and placements in a 2001 320i ..? i saw speakers in the front doors but don't know if they were 5.25 or 6? also there were grills by the mirrors, would these fit most aftermarket tweeters?

what are the speaker sizes and placements in a 2001 320i ..? i saw speakers in the front doors but don't know if they were 5.25 or 6? also there were grills by the mirrors, would these fit most aftermarket tweeters?

the speakers in the front are 5 1/4 and can be a real pain in the arse to remove on the drivers side the trick is to make sure you remove the panel below the

stearing wheel first then remove the side panel.

as for the tweets i recomend leaving them in and hiding new aftermarket ones in the main AC vent in the middle of your dash this way you create a centre stage effect and it feels like the music is coming from in front of you important trick with doing this is you leave the factory tweets hooked up to the speaker outputs from your head unit and run the new component speakers (tweaters and woofers) through a crossover and an amp this will give you an amazing sound its a trick that gives the feel of a 5 speaker system without the drama or cost

hey sorry man i thought you car was the one in the picture maybe i should pay attention i didnt realise you said e46

Hi

Just going through the same thing myself at the moment, mine is a 99 328 sedan but I believe they are the same (or at least close). I have 3 speakers in each front door, one in each rear door and 2 in the rear parcel tray. The bad news is the speakers are non standard sizes, and low depth. I believe the speakers in the lower part of the doow skins are approximately 5 1/2" as are the ones in the parcel tray. There are tweeters in the frint corner of the doors but I read that the mounting is a little odd, and not very welcoming to aftermarket parts.

The options I know of are:

1, shell out for Bavarian soundwerks direct replacements from the states, this will be expensive but will work without any modifications, plug and play.

2, make adapter rings for 5 1/4" speakers but shop around for similar depth speakers. I believe Alpine and a couple of others even come standard with adapters that might suit.

3, custom work, I don't think it's worth it depending on what you are wanting.

Good luck, read around a lot, there is quite a lot of info on line.

Bruceda