Sign in to follow this  
Silver Fox

hartge project

I've just aquired a 1984 2.3 E30 Hartge which has been in a fire. I'm hoping to find a prefacelift 320 coupe to rebuild with all the good bits. Has the manual box, getrag 245 I think, and a 3.46 LSD? Lovely BBS 15 x 8 rims, should come up good with a polish and clean. The head and block are ok I think, but all the rest in the engine bay will need replacing. Need info on what engine is compatible with the 2.3 as far as donor parts go, and opinion as to whether it's worth all the hassle? Cheers.post-1118-1171077003_thumb.jpgpost-1118-1171076991_thumb.jpgpost-1118-1171076981_thumb.jpgpost-1118-1171076969_thumb.jpgpost-1118-1171076957_thumb.jpg

Guest Spargo

zomg how much for the valve cover and 245?

Edit: m-tec 2 rear bumper i see?

That isn't a project mate, that is a basket case! I don't envy how much work is going to be required - but if you do decide, it'll be quite the journey - i'll be impressed with the final result.

Edited by Spargo

Yeah, this cars totalled, but some of the bits are repairable, body kit's not tho, rear bumper's missing a piece on the other side, rest of kit's broken or burnt. As I said, hoping to find a pre facelift 320 to put all the good bits onto, if it'd work?.

What a shame, was dodgy old fuel lines the culprit? some good bits left tho. mmm 15x8s

Guess so, he hit a fence, got out and the car went woosh. Been sitting for a year or so tho I think.

I've just aquired a 1984 2.3 E30 Hartge which has been in a fire. I'm hoping to find a prefacelift 320 coupe to rebuild with all the good bits. Has the manual box, getrag 245 I think, and a 3.46 LSD? Lovely BBS 15 x 8 rims, should come up good with a polish and clean. The head and block are ok I think, but all the rest in the engine bay will need replacing. Need info on what engine is compatible with the 2.3 as far as donor parts go, and opinion as to whether it's worth all the hassle? Cheers.post-1118-1171077003_thumb.jpgpost-1118-1171076991_thumb.jpgpost-1118-1171076981_thumb.jpgpost-1118-1171076969_thumb.jpgpost-1118-1171076957_thumb.jpg

I have an 84 SA 2.3 engine taken out & still currently complete, has little or no compression - I was planning to salvage probably only the head - if any good, so if you need anything else you are welcome to let me know or check it out

Cheers Grant

brave, brave man

good luck...look forward to seeing it salvaged!

I heard it was good idea to check E30's for rust in the sunroof area before purchasing.

Edited by E30stz

Cheers Andy, if you have a close look at the pics, I think the sunroof's the least of my problems?

It looks like a real mission, but once you have it all re-transplanted, you are going to have something very very special. I dont know I've seen any other genuine hartge E30's in NZ, hopefully you can find the rest of hte parts to complete it again.

Early 320's had much the same engine config. I would suspect that the motor would be a basket case from the looks. ( the oil filler cap missing prompts this remark) You would probably need a running 323 motor to swap bits over like head?, cam? etc. Difficult to say without stripping it first to see what mods have been done to it.

Well worth trying to restore IMO (within reason), I will give you whatever advice I can to help.

Obviously a good 2door pre-f/l body will be your first essential purchase but a lot would depend on the condition of the drivetrain to continue with it. Just remember that it will always be a replica, no matter how careful you are in the restoration, so putting endless money into it will probably be unwise.

Will

Point taken regarding replica Will, I don't intend to go that far, just like to do a nice rebuild if I can. The engine seems in good order, I took the cap off and there was no sign of corrosion inside, even has oil in the sump still. All the pieces on the outside of the engine will need replacing, starter, gen, dizzy etc, but block, head and gearbox seem OK. The fire appears to have been on the top of the engine, the bottom half isn't badly burnt at all. Hope to find a tidy 2 door shell and go from there, all help accepted.

I would assume from the pics that the engine management computer box is toasted? May have to do some homework to find if this ran a modded chip. I'm pretty sure it won't be a standard box as I naturally assume that the motor would have been specced-up somewhat. Getting the right box may prove difficult.

I can probably help with all the bolt-on bits on the motor, will just need some time to locate them. Just yell if you do. But if you buy a 320 with Ljet you should get them all anyway.

Will

Are you sure it's genuine. A H23 should have more than a Hartge cam cover. Where are the big brakes, strut brace, 16 inch wheels, extractors etc????? E30 Restoration Bible lists the diff as 3.25:1, a 3.46:1 is for a standard 323

Hi, not certain at all, has extractors as opposed to cast exhaust manifold tho, just can't see in pic. The body had a full glass kit on, not an add on, seemed to be very well fitted. Do Hartge fit a plate on the body, and if so where? Thanks.

Hi, not certain at all, has extractors as opposed to cast exhaust manifold tho, just can't see in pic. The body had a full glass kit on, not an add on, seemed to be very well fitted. Do Hartge fit a plate on the body, and if so where? Thanks.

Don't know about a build plate but the H23 engine was coded MB9E. Spoiler kits were not standard. It should have Hartge badges on the instruments (and a 280k speedo) Hartge/Momo 4 spoke steering wheel, 16 inch 11 spoke alloys and Hartge springs with revalved bilsteins.

I honestly would not even contemplate such a mission. Sorry but my two cents is to part it out and pick on something that is not going to reem you upside down financially. Even if you completed the excercise......what have you got and what is it worth ? Moreover, for the $$$$ that you WILL have spent, what could you have bought that would trip your trigger more ?

Looks like she's not the real thing, so Sam's going to get his wish and she'll be getting parted out. Any interest in

Diff, 3.46, std diff. Still in full rear subframe.

Hartge head.

Full manual conversion, 245 Getrag dogleg I assume, will find out when the motor comes out on Saturday.

Motor has small headers, as per pics.

post-1118-1171351529_thumb.jpgpost-1118-1171351517_thumb.jpgpost-1118-1171351506_thumb.jpg

Edited by Silver Fox

dam i just got a diff, how much for lsd? if only this were a week ago, oh well good luck

Diff, 3.46, LSD I think, How do you tell again

turn the one side shaft by hand, the other side must turn in the same direction ie wheels would both turn foward direction.

If you remove both sideshafts, you will find it impossible to turn the one side and hold the other side.

If the diff is 3.46 lsd, would be interested.

Will

Thanks Will, std diff I now believe, sorry.

Hey, just to make sure, pop the rear cover off. If you can see the spider gears, it is non-lsd, if the spider gears are inside a big round casting, it is lsd.

If someone like Gus had got his hands on this car sometime, the clutches could be shot to hell and it would react like a non-lsd.. :o

Will

Will do Will, it has been in the hands of some of the younger generation so anything's possible.