Sign in to follow this  
kiwipetrolhead

e21 engine rebuild - pics, nearly ready to start up

Here's three pics on my e21 with the engine not far away from starting up after a rebuild. Note the polished rocker cover and stainless steel cap screws used to spruce it up a bit. Looks pretty good for a standard 23-year old car don't you think?

The car is going now, so I'll take a few more pics when I get a chance. We're taking it to Art Deco weekend in Napier (from Palmerston North) to run in this weekend [topic="http://www.artdeconapier.com"]http://www.artdeconapier.com[/topic].

Paul

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next to the e30, the e21 is my next favourite toy... must get one sometime!!

Yours looks really good!!

Will

can ya post closer pics of stainless cap screws? where did you get them from?

g unit...your head is here!

Did you polish the rocker cover yourself?Looks gooood.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out. In the three pics posted at the beginning, note that there's no master cylinder or brake booster. I had them reconditioned and only put them back in after taking these photos. Note one other new pic in this post below - look over the top of the engine and you can just make out that the brake booster and master cylinder reservoir is back in - and I used that 'racing' elf brake fluid, $40 for a 500ml bottle. I'll take some more pics of the completed project ASAP and post here.

blackbma,

I had the rocker cover polished professionally by a local metal polishing outfit. It cost $50 cash.

Gus,

Yes, that's the head I bought from you. It turned out the 6mm thread was stuffed where the small long bolt that holds the cam belt cover on. I have a heli-coli being put in today to solve that. No big drama really, easy enough to get at. I got the stainless cap screws and things (washers and dome nuts too) from a local place (in P.Nth) called "EDL Fastening Ltd". I don't know if the same exists in Auckland, but there's bound to be a supplier of ss stuff somewhere up there - look under "Bolts & Nuts" in the Yellow pages and then ring around. I went back twice to get more - I think I spent around about $10-$15 in total - a pretty cheap way to make things look a bit tidier. I also bought some 6mm ss dome nuts (them sort with the round ends that hide the stud) to bolt the rocker cover down and so on - they're not yet fitted in the pics here though - so all you can see is the rocker cover studs. One of the pics in this post shows the throttle assembly with plain nuts, but I changed them to ss dome nuts later on. Also, a few close ups of the cap screws for you Gus. These photos don't do them justice though.

Cheers

Paul

post-250-1171397906_thumb.jpg    post-250-1171397912_thumb.jpg    post-250-1171397918_thumb.jpg

Stainless Steel cap screws...

post-250-1171397983_thumb.jpg    post-250-1171397989_thumb.jpg    post-250-1171397993_thumb.jpg

P.S. In that photo I just posted where the rubber intake thing is on the throttle assembly, you can just make out a couple of ss dome nuts - one of the throttle assembly and one on the injection lines mounting bracket.

P