Sign in to follow this  
mc740il

Ipod Integration

I am planning on getting an ice-link to integrate an ipod into my 99 e38 (no navigation).

I was going to get this profesionally installed, with the ipod located in the glovebox (maybe central console?). But the place I'd arranged to supply the ice-link and do the install it rang today to say the ipod will have to be located in the boot by the factory cd changer.

Does anyone know whether it's actually possible to put the ipod in the glovebox? Surely this is just a case of buying/making an extension cable and running this through the car?

And if it is going to be located in the boot, should I just go the DIY route instead of involving an installer?

Thanks for any advice on this,

Michael.

I am planning on getting an ice-link to integrate an ipod into my 99 e38 (no navigation).

I was going to get this profesionally installed, with the ipod located in the glovebox (maybe central console?). But the place I'd arranged to supply the ice-link and do the install it rang today to say the ipod will have to be located in the boot by the factory cd changer.

Does anyone know whether it's actually possible to put the ipod in the glovebox? Surely this is just a case of buying/making an extension cable and running this through the car?

And if it is going to be located in the boot, should I just go the DIY route instead of involving an installer?

The only reason they want to put it in the boot is that is where the CD changer cable ends and that makes it easier for them (just plug it in).

They are going to use the existing CD changer cables (there are two: one with power and ibus, the other with audio signals).

The ICE-LINK needs 12V power, ibus, and ground, as well as the audio signals.

If you are willing to cut into the cables, you can fit the icelink anywhere you like

12V, ground, and ibus can be found in many many locations in the car

The audio in (L, R + Gnd) is in the Cd changer cable.

You could cut into the CD changer cable to get access to these connections, and probably is easiest to do this right behind the head unit

Removing the head unit on an E39 is really simple when you know how, bloody dificult if you don't. :-)

I have full wiring diagrams and pinouts, let me know if you need anything

No, it doesn't have to be in the trunk.

I bought a DICE kit from HERE

The cable it came with is already long enough to go from your trunk to the glove box and beyond.

It's an easy installation. The most time consuming is taking the back seat off to let the cable through and run the cable under the door sill . 30 - 45 mins top.

No, it doesn't have to be in the trunk.

I bought a DICE kit from HERE

The cable it came with is already long enough to go from your trunk to the glove box and beyond.

It's an easy installation. The most time consuming is taking the back seat off to let the cable through and run the cable under the door sill . 30 - 45 mins top.

Thanks - I had thought running the cable from the boot to the glovebox might end up being safer than cutting into cables, and if the supplied cable is long enough to reach, that's brilliant!