Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

e38 carpet removal

Anyone know if the carpet on the e38's goes all under the center console in the same way the e30 does ?

Ive found a couple of places on the web suggesting that after removing the passenger seat that the front half of the carpet will just remove with four clips under the center console but it doesnt appear to be that way in real life.

Anyone also experienced water leaks from the cabin air intake ?

Martyyn, dont know specifically but I would be pretty sure it would be one piece (under console) & would be the same set up as my E39. Typically most cars are that way.

Where is it wet -one side or both? Has it any antifreeze in it? - leaking heater assy.

If only one side is wet you could remove all trims & seat on that side & lift the carpet to dry, you will find that there is a thick layer of foam moulded to the underneath & it is very stiff to move. To fully remove & refit - I would suggest is quite a major job in one of these cars.

If not the heater, on the left it could be around the ECU/ fuse box area where wiring etc leads from engine bay into the cabin.

Good luck

Im pretty sure I know what it is after spending the afternoon with a hose over the car !

It looks like the water is coming in the cabin air intake through the bonnet vents. Im still not sure how air can get through but not water (normally) but I dont think it was sealing properly when the bonnet was shut and water was just getting in off the bonnet.

I cant get the air intakes off because the plastic sits under the wipers and you need a special tool to get them off.

I currently have the passenger seat out and the door trim and can get under the carpet but it is VERY stiff as its a perfect mould of the bottom of the car and the foam is very thick. The carpet is completely dry but the foam is drenched.

So Ive played with the air intake and cleaned what I can get off and reseated all the seals etc and done several tests and it appears ok now. What I'll be doing this week is sticking the car in a mates garage with a dehumidifier and hope that I can get rid of all the water before testing it again.

Its not going to be easy getting rid of the water though because the carpet is very firm and certainly cant be lifted easily so Ill see how we go.

Martyyn, Don't know how likely it will be to be coming through that vent, did you seal around bodywork itself or just plastic panels?.

The bonnet itself will not be forming a seal on rubbers - only forms a seal to guide fresh air through the air con filters, -you should be able to hose water anywhere under the bonnet without water entering the cabin.

Is it only leaking on the passenger side?

Well Ive found several people in the US who have had the same problem and they have said it came through there.

I agree you should be able to spray water anywhere when the bonnets open, but when its closed it opens the vent up fully and if the seal between the vent and the bonnet isnt perfect then water can get in there. The bonnet on the e38 opens the vent and creates the seal as it shuts. The sound deadening on the bonnet around the vent was soaking aswell so Im pretty sure thats where its getting in.

The first time I opened the vent there was plenty of water inside it and the rubber seal was soaking. Once Id removed the seal and played around with cleaning and removing the water I couldnt get it wet at all.

Also the water in the cabin has stained the foam right along the air outlet than runs down there from the air intake and under the seat.

Yes its only on the passenger side. The seal on the drivers is perfect and not a drop of water down the vent.