Sign in to follow this  
rxsumo

FS M10 2 Litre Engine

I'm wrecking an early E12 520/4, the 2 litre engine is available.

TradeMe.....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=90313600

The car is a '74 but the head castings show '77. The mileage on the car is 420K, so I'm guessing the engine has been replaced or rebuilt at some stage. The motor starts up fine and seems to be okay (no blue smoke when rev'd), it was in daily use up until 8-12 months ago. The cars still a runner so if you want to check the engine over, can be driven (although the car has no front left on it).

Could be a good engine for your 2002?

Reserve is $100, but if there is no interest, it will head to the scrap metal man like the rest of the car.

Edited by rxsumo

I'll take it for a hundy if no interest on TM. TradeMe fire-walled atm so can't see auction. You in welly? Mind keepin it till easter when I'm back up?

Yes to all questions, theres been no interest from TM, although its still gotta few days to run.

Easter is fine, I might tee up one big blitz on the backyard over that weekend, and get rid of a couple of shells

Cool.

Looks like 318i head on this 2.0 block will lower CR ;)

just got to find out how much.

I know this is sold, but i was woundering if this engine would bolt into a e30 m10 318, or would i have to fidle around with wiring and stuff like that. Because i thought if they are both m10's and one is just a 2 litre wouldnt they have the same wiring and stuff as a 1.8 litre?

AFAIK only M10 with L-jet was 1.8L.

All the 2.0 used carb or K-jet. The 1.8 ECU may work ok with the ECU, I'm not sure. You'd also have to swap dizzys and camshafts. The earlier dizzys spin a different direction.

There are a few other differences out there as well. Early block may be missing holes for engine mounts. Oil pan, oil pump etc may need to be swapped depending on what car the engine is from. Intake manifold also needs to be swapped. Nothing is really a major, just may have to swap a fair bit of stuff over.

Could be worth it if you got one dirt cheap and wanted a project. Would go better than 6cyl 320i if you got it working.