Sign in to follow this  
r0tary15

Carnt get front strut out on e30 Help please!

Im trying to get my front shocks out of my e30 and ive got everything off accept the arms wont come lose for me to lift the strut off the bolt on the arm any ideas please????

Edited by r0tary15

Bash the hell out of it. Literally, With a hammer. On the side of where the bolt goes in, all around it. Sharp quick hits with hammer are the key.

He's talking about hitting the strut with the hammer - not the tie rod. The tie rod end bolt is tapered. Loosen the nut but leave the nut on so if you miss with the hammer you won't damage the thread. DO NOT hit the thead or the top of the bolt as you will bur the end and stuff it. Hit the strut wher the bolt goes through with a decent sized hammer as described above. Or do it propoerly and buy a tie rod end removal fork.

How'd you get on? I pulled mine out the other night and just was wondering since my memory was fresh. Bigger hammer and a decent lever to put downward pressure on tie rod end or control arm helps.