Sign in to follow this  
chrisvlok

e30 325i turbo- what needs to be done?

factory ECU can't recognise a positive manifold pressure so you either need a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) based ECU or something like a RRFPR (rising rate fuel pressure regulator) that will increase fuel pressure to compensate for extra oxygen going in.

Too be honest sounds like you need to read up a whole lot more (maximum boost is a good book to get started) or increase your budget a lot and pay someone to do it. Have a google for Turbo Charging Dynamics as they sell complete kits that are tuned

+1 on the maximum boost

It will tell you most things you need to know + more, If you are serious about turbo charging your car then understanding whats actually going on is very vitalLots of theory & lots of practical application for adding a turbo to your non turbo engine.

Best book i ever read.

I think this would be the cheapest option to be honest, its a solid build thats making good power (real impressed by the way topcat! looks incredible!)

Cheers mate,

I like the look of it too.shame the rest of the car isnt/wasnt all it cracked out to be.

anyways,onwards and upwards.new project's up and running.

Chris

I've got an engine,new rings,low compressoin pistons,turbo,manifolds,450cc injectors,new water pump,MLS head gasket, worked head/warm cam, wategate.

this,and a burned chip by/from Gavin and you've got a machine that will scare the s**t out of you,and anyone who rides with.

dont worry about planting a m30 block into your e30.has been well documented on whats involved(not too much)

will cost round the 7-8k.which is not bad if you check out other people posts on their turbo builds

call me,can do easy payments.

dont take short cuts mate,it will pay dividens

cheers marty 021 438 735

more options for you to think about,cars on the blocks this weekend so do hurry if you want to test it out

Edited by topcat

Cheers mate,

I like the look of it too.shame the rest of the car isnt/wasnt all it cracked out to be.

anyways,onwards and upwards.new project's up and running.

Chris

I've got an engine,new rings,low compressoin pistons,turbo,manifolds,450cc injectors,new water pump,MLS head gasket, worked head/warm cam, wategate.

this,and a burned chip by/from Gavin and you've got a machine that will scare the s**t out of you,and anyone who rides with.

dont worry about planting a m30 block into your e30.has been well documented on whats involved(not too much)

will cost round the 7-8k.which is not bad if you check out other people posts on their turbo builds

call me,can do easy payments.

dont take short cuts mate,it will pay dividens

cheers marty 021 438 735

more options for you to think about,cars on the blocks this weekend so do hurry if you want to test it out

hi marty,

thanks for the offer.

but i can't afford that much money at the moment. wish i could though as your engine sounds amazing.

but will have to keep dreaming at this stage haha

thanks anyway

Chris

hi all,

i found this today when i was looking at piggyback units and ecu's

just wondering if anyone knows whether or not this will work for me?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RTQ:MOTORS:1123

thanks

Chris

A piggy back is a great idea and could be installed and tuned for under two grand. I ran a UNI-CHIP on my last beast and it went great…after a few months on the Dyno and various injectors and fuel system experiments. Turbo/Supercharging and engine is never going to be cheap and never ultimately reliable.

That kit does look very nice though..If you can find out what it would be worth to send over or even find out if it would fit please let us know..very tempting .

yes, no i think it will fit, the flange on the turbo will sit closer to the front so it wont be in the way of the sterring colum. other than that i will just do the rest my self.

i think ive got my piggyback system sussd out. someone earlier on said to go for a "map-ecu" (a brand by the way) but they have two models available. ones alot cheaper than the other and i was wondering if it would do the job. please tell me if this is so asap.

http://www.mapecu.com/map2.html

http://www.mapecu.com/map1.html

thanks

Chris

yes, no i think it will fit, the flange on the turbo will sit closer to the front so it wont be in the way of the sterring colum. other than that i will just do the rest my self.

i think ive got my piggyback system sussd out. someone earlier on said to go for a "map-ecu" (a brand by the way) but they have two models available. ones alot cheaper than the other and i was wondering if it would do the job. please tell me if this is so asap.

thanks

Chris

Hey dude, i said go for Mapecu 2. This gives advance & retard control of your timing as well as the fuel control + you can run additional injectors plus a host of other stuff.Read up on it.

I'm running Map2 on my stock M30 engine, if you look overseas everyone does custom fuel/timing mapping now.

Dump the crap AFM and go MAP.

You have to make decisions on your project that are sound, go for the best your budget can afford.You need accurate info, my mapping is in the gallery.

Edited by mr E34

Hey dude, i said go for Mapecu 2. This gives advance & retard control of your timing as well as the fuel control + you can run additional injectors plus a host of other stuff.Read up on it.

I'm running Map2 on my stock M30 engine, if you look overseas everyone does custom fuel/timing mapping now.

Dump the crap AFM and go MAP.

ok, thanks. but just incase i run into moeny probs along the way, the mapecu 1 will work?

thanks

Chris

ok, thanks. but just incase i run into moeny probs along the way, the mapecu 1 will work?

thanks

Chris

Chris, you need FULL control of timing.You cannot compromise ignition timing on forced induction.

Reliable power costs money, if in doubt save more money.

thanks

Chris

get a second job or sell some stuff,dont go halves in something like this,it'll only sit in the back of the garage waiting for you to save more $$ up.

Or wait for deals on TM for ecu's,wategates,turbos......other peoples tears

Dont end up on TM with the catchie phrase '90% finished" cause it took too long

lots of tears

Edited by topcat

get a second job or sell some stuff,dont go halves in something like this,it'll only sit in the back of the garage waiting for you to save more $$ up.

Or wait for deals on TM for ecu's,wategates,turbos......other peoples tears

Dont end up on TM with the catchie phrase '90% finished" cause it took too long

lots of tears

haha thanks topcat,

i dont plan on messing around.

hopefuly it will go as planned and it wont just be one of "those car's" haha

thanks

thanks

Chris

Blasphemy . Would most likely end up costing the same. I would prefer to keep things BMW if it were me, there would be a lot less fabrication to do, all auxiliaries would work properly and it would be BMW.

Blasphemy . Would most likely end up costing the same. I would prefer to keep things BMW if it were me, there would be a lot less fabrication to do, all auxiliaries would work properly and it would be BMW.

i love fabricating!!! haha

hi all,

just wondering waht you guys think of the ireland engineering 3.1 stroker kit.

would it be better to get one of these instead of turboing my car??

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFro...et=products.asp

also, what would it take to put this in, and can you guys recomend anyone in christchurch that could do it for cheap?

thanks

Chris

hi all,

just wondering waht you guys think of the ireland engineering 3.1 stroker kit.

would it be better to get one of these instead of turboing my car??

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFro...et=products.asp

also, what would it take to put this in, and can you guys recomend anyone in christchurch that could do it for cheap?

thanks

Chris

Andrew on here i think is doing this. Would still need to do something about the ecu tho me thinks.

If 3k's your limit and you cant do it yourself i think you'd be pushed to do a good job of this

Read this

Sure he's done lots of other mods but same principal

Top gear from those guys, as said above Andrew is building one. Lots of dollars for N/A, work hard for each HP, turbo will give more PWR/TRQ & it doesn't care above 2 valve heads.

Why not just buy an M30 big block 3.5ltr and drop that in??

http://www.e30.de/335i/00.htm

just read a whole lot on the prices involves haha, so yea, think im guna stick to the turbo, i just wish my 325 was a 2 door. it driving me crazy atm. how easy would it be to put my engine in a 2 door e30? or i a 2 door 325 thats auto ?

just don't wana waste money doing it to a four door and then deciding at the end that it would look better in a 2 door which i know will probably happen

thanks

just read a whole lot on the prices involves haha, so yea, think im guna stick to the turbo, i just wish my 325 was a 2 door. it driving me crazy atm. how easy would it be to put my engine in a 2 door e30? or i a 2 door 325 thats auto ?

just don't wana waste money doing it to a four door and then deciding at the end that it would look better in a 2 door which i know will probably happen

thanks

Drive your 4 door till you've saved up enough money to do it properly, sell it and buy a 2 door 325 manual and do a quality turbo build. You'll be much happier and there'll be less tears and swearing involved than cutting corners.

does anyone know of a manual 325 coupe that someone might be keen on swapping for or selling????? haha i know im dreaming. man it sucks how there so hard to find these days