Sign in to follow this  
tune

Supercharging my E30 Mtech1

Hi all,

This beut is the project car

(1985 M323i 2.3L 6Cylinder 5Speed, lowered suspension, leather interior, performance exhuast and intake)

post-2925-1210461092_thumb.jpgpost-2925-1210461393_thumb.jpgpost-2925-1210461422_thumb.jpg

This here is the supercharger

(SC14 off a 6cylinder toyota)

post-2925-1210461498_thumb.jpg

Rising rate fuel pressure regulator

(bought of trademe awhile ago)

post-2925-1210461514_thumb.jpg

Also have (but no pics of so far) side mount intercooler and all standard cooler piping

of a 1989 Skyline R32 GTST

======================

Now, as far as I know; I'm gonna need to upgrade my injectors (probably will use m30 injectors)

and I need to get a SC Mounting Bracket fabricated

(anyone know any good fabricators in auckland central?)

and a bigger drive belt

I'm planning on ripping into the project starting next weekend

(while im still sourcing parts)

If anyone has any tips or any information that would help me please post it here

At the moment im working from this picture

post-2925-1210462037_thumb.jpg

I've also been reading up on information about previous supercharger installs for about the whole last month

so with a bit of luck all should go smoothly

Cheers

(will take more pics are keep updating regularly)

sweet project dude. this is what i want to do to but next year at some stage.

Good luck with it man!!

I'd be careful when upgrading injectors as you'll be running rich when off boost. Have a look at my project thread for where I put my R32 GTST cooler. I take it from the RRFPR that you're not planning to run aftermarket engine management? Depending on boost levels you can probably get away with stock ignition timing, as your car will be L-jet you can always retard the base timing a few degrees if you start knocking. might pay to go to slightly colder plugs too. How are you planning on tuning the fuel? wideband O2 or just bodge it and go off things like plugs?

One idea would be to convert to motronic management and then get a chip written to work with the larger injectors and could also retard the timing where needed. Is a bit of a hassle though, and costs could be getting near aftermarket gear.

Are you planning to run the AFM before or after the supercharger- this will have an effect on how much air it measures.

Good luck and keep us updated

Mike

I'd be careful when upgrading injectors as you'll be running rich when off boost. Have a look at my project thread for where I put my R32 GTST cooler. I take it from the RRFPR that you're not planning to run aftermarket engine management? Depending on boost levels you can probably get away with stock ignition timing, as your car will be L-jet you can always retard the base timing a few degrees if you start knocking. might pay to go to slightly colder plugs too. How are you planning on tuning the fuel? wideband O2 or just bodge it and go off things like plugs?

One idea would be to convert to motronic management

Are you planning to run the AFM before or after the supercharger- this will have an effect on how much air it measures.

Nope no aftermarket engine management

i tried to get a chip made for my car but it's not possible without changing ecu etc... = pricey

Probably gonna go for 8psi ish, ill see what its putting out with the standard compressor wheel first though.

any idea on the part number for the right type of "colder plugs?"

as i wouldn't be supprised if my car already has the wrong plugs in it.

Tuning the fuel? could you elaborate on that?

Probably have afm before the supercharger i.e;

POD - AFM - Piping to Intercooler - Intercooler - Piping to charger - charger - oout otherside of charger to intake manifold

What are your thoughts on this?

I'm assuming the air after the supercharger will be too pressured and the afm "flap" will be more open that usual

Nope no aftermarket engine management

i tried to get a chip made for my car but it's not possible without changing ecu etc... = pricey

Probably gonna go for 8psi ish, ill see what its putting out with the standard compressor wheel first though.

any idea on the part number for the right type of "colder plugs?"

as i wouldn't be supprised if my car already has the wrong plugs in it.

Tuning the fuel? could you elaborate on that?

Probably have afm before the supercharger i.e;

POD - AFM - Piping to Intercooler - Intercooler - Piping to charger - charger - oout otherside of charger to intake manifold

What are your thoughts on this?

I'm assuming the air after the supercharger will be too pressured and the afm "flap" will be more open that usual

I suggested changing to motronic as I know the L-jet cant be chipped. I don't know the stock code for plugs off the top of my head but any parts place should have a listing. In the NGK plug code the number represents the heat range, the higher the number the colder the plug. eg your stock plug might be BP5ES so you could try BP7ES. If you go to cold your plugs wont clean themselves, too hot and they can act as a source for preignition. I found going from a 5 to 7 worked for me.

As for tuning fuel, how are you going to ensure you have the correct air fuel ratio? with RRFPR and bigger injectors its a bit hit and hope. You want to run much richer under boost, especially as you don't have ignition control, around 12.5:1 should be ok. I see three options here -

1) Invest in a wideband O2 sensor and controller along with appropriate gauge.

2) Do some dyno runs and get it measured then. This could get very expensive if you have to keep making adjustments.

3) Just chuck the bigger injectors and fuel reg in and see what happens.

I started with option 3 and AFM after the turbo (wasn't thinking) and I got about 3 months at 10psi before the HG blew. I then went for option 1 and ECU, my A/F ratios are almost spot on.

I suggested putting the AFM before the SC as I wouldn't want to speculate as to how the flap would react to extra pressure, it may open more or it could open less as it wont respond to the extra pressure.

I'm gonna go with option 3, but run lower boost to be safe

I know its not a performance supercharger but it is suited for a 6cylinder engine that carries alot of weight

so even at lower boost i should still get a good performance gain

Great another guinea pig! I want to go s/c but house renovations hitting the wallet. Would love to see how this turns out as I was thinking of using asc14 at about 8psi aswell. Although I had planned to go aftermarket computer aswell.

Nice project! If you upgrade to Motronic i would recommend Mapecu 2, remove AFM and the piggyback ecu will give you complete control over fuel delivery, retard/advance on spark timing. Custom mapping is the only way to go, ensure max performance & reliability. (unless you go full aftermarket ecu set up)

Check out this dudes car, E30 M3 shell(Alpina B6s) fitted with Alpina M30 Bi-Turbo engine + interior upgrade.

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.ph...7500&page=6

Edited by mr E34

That's a f**kin sexy car ^^

Heres some recent shots of mine;

post-2925-1210645486_thumb.jpg post-2925-1210646264_thumb.jpg

Buy an old E30 M3 shell and build a Right Hand Drive version of that car, nice project.

If you upgrade to Motronic i would recommend Mapecu 2

I'm sure mapecu2 would be mint, but.. I'm not upgrading to Motronic.

At the moment the projects looking like it will be costing me no more than $2000 (to be completely finished and driving mint) (all labour done by me)

If i was to upgrade to Motronic and get Mapecu2 the above figure would be doubled at least.

I'm sure mapecu2 would be mint, but.. I'm not upgrading to Motronic.

At the moment the projects looking like it will be costing me no more than $2000 (to be completely finished and driving mint) (all labour done by me)

If i was to upgrade to Motronic and get Mapecu2 the above figure would be doubled at least.

Fair enough, but you don't want it to grenade and all the investment is gone anyway.

Can't you get cheap motronic ecu/loom from bimmersport members?

Hhhhmmmm.... Yeah i probably will change to motoronic in the future

But for now, running low boost and tuning her up nicely to run as safely and reliable as possible will be fine.

I only drive the car like once or twice a week on weekends.

Will definately pay someone in the know to tune her the "right" way though.

Just so I can feel a little less worried about KABOOOM

Gave the cooler a "wipe" today

R32 GTST Standard Side-Mounted Intercooler

(Sorry about the cellphone quality photos)

post-2925-1210757765_thumb.jpgpost-2925-1210757784_thumb.jpgpost-2925-1210757797_thumb.jpg

Didn't think you needed a intercooler with a supercharger?

A decent CAI set-up would be just as effective no? It's not like the supercharger is glowing with heat like a turbo eh.

Oh but nice idea, should be fun, no lag :D

Edited by Incary

True, but the air temp is still increased as a result of being compressed

It would still be punchy with no intercooler, with one there would be not as much beautiful throttle response :D I'd take the instant response and simplicity over the 7-10hp or so.. But hey with at intercooler it'd fly on cold nights!

Yeah nah, took the intercooler into consideration because i want to run a smaller compressor wheel in future

(smaller compressor wheel = more boost = more heat)

Might not install it at first but it will go on at some stage

started taking crap out of engine bay yestaday

(afm piping etc)

theres a beutiful large spot for the sc to fit in its almost asthough bmer thought ahead and made room for it ;)

UPDATE

Removed most parts except long engine

whats out of the way for now

- radiator

-radiator hoses

-radiator reserve

- coil pack

- afm mounting bracket

- afm

-intake piping

-battery

-rerouted sparkplug h/t leads out of the way

also

-cleaned out afm

-attached new small pod filter to afm (the more room available the better)

-purchased new radiator hoses and coolant

this weekends todo list:

-Tidy up all wiring (thinking about rerouting wires behind guards rather than going up the sides of the engine bay)

-Grab some new colder spark plugs

-fit RRFPR (fuel pressure regulator)

-grab some silicon joiners and bends

-get supercharger mounting bracket fabricated

-buy a "double din" alternator pully

-Have her running by sunday

pics:

post-2925-1211438413_thumb.jpgpost-2925-1211438443_thumb.jpgpost-2925-1211438466_thumb.jpg

post-2925-1211438486_thumb.jpgpost-2925-1211438505_thumb.jpg

questions for you guys:

should i run a belt off the alternator (could possibly wear alternator bearings out quickly)

or run one big belt that goes from crank pully around alternator around sc and then back to crank pully

Are you going to keep using the sc12?

Isn't a considerable amount smaller than the sc14?

yup gna just get it al fitted in there then sell the sc12 and get sc14 and swap them, mounting bracket should be almost identical

dunno how im gna mount it tho