Sign in to follow this  
Yuen

1990 BMW E34 M5

I didnt see that Yuen. He just told me anything around 15 would be enough. It was a hard decision to make but in the end I need to sell the touring first :(

Just chuck it on the mortgage, i'm sure the Mrs would understand :).

Guys

If it was still in a similar condition to when I saw it 2-3 years ago it was excellent buying, it makes the ChCh one look less of a buy than it did. Mine has done over 200k miles and is still going like a train, just need to give it a freshen up in the shock department and a new coat of jam due to stone chips but it is strong as anything mechanically and structure wise, so I would say that Jock's old car has one hell of a lot of life left in it yet if mine is anything to go by.

I hope it has been snapped up by someone who enjoys and appreciates it and thrashes the pants of it regularly.......

Edited by oldskool

I hope it has been snapped up by someone who enjoys and appreciates it and thrashes the pants of it regularly.......

Same, I don't understand why people buy awesome cars like this and don't use them to their potential.

Every time there is a new post in this thread I hope its someone to say its been relisted :(

Im still gutted I missed out.

Same, I don't understand why people buy awesome cars like this and don't use them to their potential.

you might think differently if you owned one (becoming rare) and knew how much some of the parts cost.Some parts are much much more than the std E34,not even thinking about the S38B36

you might think differently if you owned one (becoming rare) and knew how much some of the parts cost.Some parts are much much more than the std E34,not even thinking about the S38B36

15-20k engine rebuild. 3.6 supposed to be rugged compared to 3.8, i only check UK prices & they are priced low due to mileage/costs of rebuilds etc etc.

Most NZ new still have modest mileage by comparison.

Every time there is a new post in this thread I hope its someone to say its been relisted :(

Comfort yourself with the fact that it would have needed an air conditioning retrofit for R134a (or has it been done?) and isn't a S38B38. If you really want one, there's always the Chch one which has way lower KMs?

Were the S38B38 M5s even brought to NZ? I saw somewhere that says only four E34 M5s made it to NZ or something like that.

Comfort yourself with the fact that it would have needed an air conditioning retrofit for R134a (or has it been done?) and isn't a S38B38. If you really want one, there's always the Chch one which has way lower KMs?

Were the S38B38 M5s even brought to NZ? I saw somewhere that says only four E34 M5s made it to NZ or something like that.

I remember about 10yrs ago i looked at a 3.6ltr, the onr was selling because he had imported a 3.8ltr.Didn't see the 3.8 so only going on what he said.

I remember about 10yrs ago i looked at a 3.6ltr, the onr was selling because he had imported a 3.8ltr.Didn't see the 3.8 so only going on what he said.

You are right Yuen, there were only four 3.6 M5's brought in by BMW NZ. Jocks white one, my Macau Blue one, don't know where the third one is and the fourth car was tourist delivery. The 3.6 is the way to go as the 3.8 engine is a bit fragile.

After posting that, I think I read somewhere that only Europe got the 3.8 and ROW got the 3.6 until 1993, guess that applies to us.

You are right Yuen, there were only four 3.6 M5's brought in by BMW NZ. Jocks white one, my Macau Blue one, don't know where the third one is and the fourth car was tourist delivery. The 3.6 is the way to go as the 3.8 engine is a bit fragile.

I saw your car on the BMWCC website, it looks very tidy. Rare colour too! Did you own it since new? Hope the 3rd one is still around...

Why did they only bring in 4? Was the demand for the M5 that low? Granted they couldn't churn them out as quickly as they were handbuilt, but I would have expected there to be more in NZ. I'm also wondering how many E39 M5s there are in NZ. I've only seen a handful around.

I came across this site http://bmwe34m5.com/. Suppose some of us will have seen it but still an interesting read for the others.

You can get the BMWCar Buyer's Guide for the E34 M5 here: http://bmwe34m5.com/node/180

I've attached the PDF version below. The html+images version is available from the site.

E34M5BuyersGuide_BMWCar.pdf

Edited by Yuen

There are a lot more E39 M5's here by comparison

I've only seen 4 or 5 in Auckland, and that's including the Imola Red one that was on TradeMe awhile back. Maybe they aren't being daily driven? Would be interesting to know how many were sold. There are so many E60 M5s on TradeMe but you only see a couple of E39 M5s a year.

Martyn,

Next time I'm in Welly with the old girl I'll give you a call and let you play with her ( the car.........LOL anything else may get us in very hot water with our respective better halves, especially if mine thinks I'm calling her an old girl )

Anyway short story long, given that you seem to be suffering seroius M5 withdrawls I'm prepared to help another addict get a fix............. you'll just have to give me the touring for the day.................that'll be handy for shopping !!

Sorry, no I can't make it down tomorrow.

Take it easy fella, there will be another opportunity out there................make a fair offer on the one here in Hawkes Bay, just use Jocks one as a price guide and let the vendor know, given that they are similar in spec condition and milage, the fact that Jocks is NZ new may well make the one here worth less & yes I realise what I am in turn saying about my own cars value..................

Oh well its only money right............

Cheers

Grunta

Hey Martyn

Have a sqiz on TM the guy was wanting $20 +K for it, SA import on turbines, in white and looks tidy all though the doors look a dif white in the pics, but that could simply be a trick of the light, pics are hard to read sometimes, Si & I will go check it out for you if you would like tho.

Hmmm, I remember seeing someone point it out on here, but its not on there at the moment. Might have a hunt around for the link.

3.8 never came here,m5 was very expensive at a time when the country was still a bit low economically. this is why i beleive there is the 535is,essentially an m5 replica

here martyn

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-157764132.htm

I've only seen 4 or 5 in Auckland, and that's including the Imola Red one that was on TradeMe awhile back. Maybe they aren't being daily driven? Would be interesting to know how many were sold. There are so many E60 M5s on TradeMe but you only see a couple of E39 M5s a year.

Is the red one the chch one with the red inserts in the seats...ex south africa? Edited by kiwi535

3.8 never came here,m5 was very expensive at a time when the country was still a bit low economically. this is why i beleive there is the 535is,essentially an m5 replica

here martyn

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-157764132.htm

Is the red one the chch one with the red inserts in the seats...ex south africa?

I don't know, I think the one I saw had pictures of it in front of the Auckland Museum. Might have had red inserts.

Also just been through some old photos and I see a blue M5 at the Driver's Training Day in 2006. ashmill - I also just came across 2 photos of your M5 at the DTD :D

Don't dwell on the past Martynn. I used to do that too much, and it's not good for your head. Im sure people wanting to "sell" (that is, move to a new owner and not merely list on trademe) an E34 M5 will price it according to the market, being a similar price to what the white one sold for. Alas, one may pop up soon...

I don't know, I think the one I saw had pictures of it in front of the Auckland Museum. Might have had red inserts.

Also just been through some old photos and I see a blue M5 at the Driver's Training Day in 2006. ashmill - I also just came across 2 photos of your M5 at the DTD :D

Yep - that was me at the driver training day in 06. Hope they are good photos???

There are quite a few E34M5s around, ex South Africa and UK with the odd one from Hong Kong/Singapore.

I am shocked at the price being asked for Jocks car by the dealer in Rotorua. I think they are worth $20K - particularly if they have a full history. Only my opinion but they are such a special car and even after 8 years of ownership i still find it a blast to drive.

My car is for sale because, with the race car taking up so much time, i just don't drive the M5 as much as it should be driven. I know you people on this forum appreciate them for what they are and if it went to one of you i would be really happy in the knowledge it was going to a good home. Sorry for the rant - must be the pure Northland air -:)

Not good ones, just front and rear shots of your car waiting to go on the track. But I can post them if you want!

Sorry for the rant - must be the pure Northland air -:)

Don't you love country air! Sometimes I feel like I need a gas mask just to walk anywhere in Auckland.