Sign in to follow this  
danjah

[WGTN] Tinted window woes

hey guys,

have sent my e36 off for a warrant last week to have it fail on the account that the back passenger windows and windscreen tints appear to be a fair bit darker than the legal limit of 35%

obviously the owner that had previously owned the car had taken the liberty to darken the tints considerably past the legal limit but was able to source most likely a dodgy wof place to certify him for the warrant before the sale.

now to pass my warrant i am requiring the certificate that should have been supplied to him at the time of the tints being done. i've contacted the previous owner who basically told me he knew the tints were darker than the legal limit however it was able to be wof'd if you take it to someone who would look past the fact the tints weren't legal :angry:

so any recommendations as to who to see in welly to re do the tints on the car properly and legally? i really don't want it to affect my insurance policy if anything goes terribly wrong in the future. and approx prices involved?

thanx

p.s: the sticker on the back of the windscreen bears the tint company name of "Outwest Tints", not quite sure why one of these tint certificates weren't supplied...

We had this just recently on my wife's Focus which was imported from Japan. It was complied and wof'd several times before she took it to an LTNZ place last month where they failed it.

She ended up taking it to our local garage who usually does the work on her car and they said that because they didnt have the equipment to test it they would pass it regardless of how dark they are !

If you want them replaced then try Tint Magic in Porirua. Ive had them do a couple of cars and they have been great. Although I had to get them to do the 7 twice because they put the wrong tint on the first time <_<

We had this just recently on my wife's Focus which was imported from Japan. It was complied and wof'd several times before she took it to an LTNZ place last month where they failed it.

She ended up taking it to our local garage who usually does the work on her car and they said that because they didnt have the equipment to test it they would pass it regardless of how dark they are !

If you want them replaced then try Tint Magic in Porirua. Ive had them do a couple of cars and they have been great. Although I had to get them to do the 7 twice because they put the wrong tint on the first time <_<

cheers for the reply mate. surely if i take it to another garage wouldn't it show up straight away when on their computer system that the car has been failed because of the tint? or do they not look at stuff like that.

I recently failed mine at On Road New Zealand, so the testing stations must be getting strict. A quick clarification and conversation between the tester and the tinter sorted it and once I had the 35% stickers applied the car was magically legal. Even if it was darker than 35%.

I recommend Tint-a-car, they are the most expensive but in my experience are miles above anyone else I have seen out South. There used to be a guy in an industrial estate in Miarangi (s) bay that did a fantastic job on my old Commodore, Tint <Magic they were called.

I recently failed mine at On Road New Zealand, so the testing stations must be getting strict. A quick clarification and conversation between the tester and the tinter sorted it and once I had the 35% stickers applied the car was magically legal. Even if it was darker than 35%.

yeah thats what i'm just a bit confused about because i can see clearly on the windscreen and passenger windows i can see a 35% sticker applied to it, but to be honest you can clearly see the back passenger windows and back windscreen are considerably darker...

Anyone can put a sticker onto a window, but that doesnt make them legal.

Our local garage is a family friend and so we told him why it had failed but he wasnt bothered. Like I said he doesnt have the equipment to test it so has always passed it.

okies got a quote from tint magic in porirua. 400 squid :o + extra if its a hassle to remove the previous tint.

time to start tighten the financial belt!

I've also heard Tint Magic are pretty good.. hope it doesn't end up costing you too much more than $400 to get everything sorted :)

Laurence.

$400 is what you should expect to pay for a good job! I thought id save a few bob on the touring and it resulted in three re tints.. im still not happy but there isn’t much I can do.

I find offering "cash" can sometimes reduce the cost of things..

$400 is what you should expect to pay for a good job! I thought id save a few bob on the touring and it resulted in three re tints.. im still not happy but there isn’t much I can do.

I find offering "cash" can sometimes reduce the cost of things..

i had the exact same problem on my car (minus windscreen), but i payed only $120 at tint magic to get them legal.