Sign in to follow this  
BlowMyWhistle

Blow My Whistle

Hi y'all. This is my first post, that means i'm new here!

thing is, i'm not here at all. i'm in WA perth, along with about 200,000 kiwi's.

My story: Well a few years ago I was living in down home Invercargill. i had a VS Commondoor which i'd bean up & down the country in a few times, i remember living in whitianga & having a work ute. The Holden used to fill up with rainwater!

Anyways i was looking for cheap runabout, as I was working about 40 k's out of town.

looked around the local dealers, then gave that up & went to the car yards. had $1000 to spend.

There were some uninspiring jap cars, that looked like they needed a wheelbarrow.

Then at the last place in town there was this old BMW. now i dint know a thing about it, but the car guy jump started it, as it had been sitting for weeks & weeks... & I took it for a drive. i thought it was a bit slow after driving a V6, it was a soft ride & the trans went straight up to top gear, & I couldn't break traction, no matter how hard I tried!

But i bought it, had a bit of a tinker with the kick down & it was better, so i park the holden up & I'm into bemers now.

what I'd bought was an '86 e28 M520i, dunno what the m's about, but it;s got the same sports package as the 535, the seats, spoiler, sunroof etc. Sez M on the ownership papers, South African build...

So I'm using this car top drive to work, i'm driving home late at night & every night I go around this 80 kmh sweeper, onto a bumpy bridge, faster & FASTER. until every night i'm cruising home at 140k's, yeah it's only a 2 litre, so It hasn't got the grunt to pass a truck with 4 people on board. but it's an awesome cruiser.

then driving around a few times it sounds like the altenatoer's seizing up! unfortunately it wasn't the altenator, rather the water pump. it gives up the day i'm teaching my 9 yr old son how 2 do 0's & 8's on the beach...

So I park it up & take the head off it, give it to my mate at the cylinder head clinic, it's f**ked, cracked...

so I get the holden out & use it for a few weeks, but really by comparison, a car that's 10 years older, what a piece of crap, it's tinny & plasticy & the ride is sh*t house in comparison to the beemer, lots of body roll, getting pitched from side to side in the cabin.

So I decide this won't do & go trade it on a nice e34 525 with only 70k's from new, a jap import.

I pledge to give the e28 to my daughter when she's 18, she was 14 then & used to drive e4 all over town!

Then I have the opportunity to come over here, for 6 months initially...

Long story short, i sold the e34, repo to tell the truth & give the e28 to my mate to fix up motor etc.

Over here I'm driving a landcruiser, an old one with saggy back springs. i buy another japper...

then i see a 735 at the car sales up the road. my bro & I we go look at it, but it's not running, so we leave it. A few weeks later it's gone. A few weeks later it's back... i was workingaway at the time anyway. But after a whole year i see the car back there again, so i go in & talk to the dealer, who sends me over to the car sales..

The salesman had been using it himself as he couldn't sell it, holdens & fords no problem...

He almost gave it to me, let me pay for 1/2 of it & pay the rest of weekly... $3000!

It was a cracker, an e23 executive, with full leather electrics etc & it had newish motor in it, 400k's on it, motor at 350! I was rather impressed witht he way this thing hauled ass, it could pull up to 200k/mh easy as & more gears to go.. So i drove that about for 2 years, it always got hot, like it gets very hot over here, but at the lights etc the temp wood crep up, new radiator, new thermo coupling, new thermostat, nothing wood fix it.

Incidentally one of my away jobs i met aguy who had 2 e23's we took the worn out one for a drive, outback australia. 240k/mh at 4700 rpm!

But anway. daily driver, lots of work around the city, late night driving home on the freeways. consistently used to beat everything off the lights, holdens, falcons jappers, except a GT falcon..

then i noticed a blob of oil in the top tank & i'm thinking head gasket.

i'm also thinking i've had a good run out of this beast, the messerschmidt, it sounded like a low flying plane!

So I go & buy another e34, but a 94 530 this time, give me some V8! twin overhead cams, economical...

The e23's still sitting outside & I use it occasionally for towing, i'm gunner give it to my brother!

The e28's sitting in a container in NZ, head's all been welded, milled etc. the bottom end is fine, but we had to replace the frost plugs, i've spent near $3k on it... but only needs a radiator now, & a few bits of paper...

My daughter's 18 now, so eye buy her a e30, red 2 door 318, needs a bit of a tidy up, but cheap at $2500.

cars are hell expensive over here, seeing we're so geographically isolqated. cost $3000 to send a car from the east coast, where they are about NZ prices.

But we tidy that up & it can fly, for a little 4 cylinder it's pretty spedy. so i show adele how to win at the lights, the race is over when you reach 100k's or whatever the raod speed is...

then she's out on her own & she gets tboned by a dickhead on the piss.

the way it works here, if we got no insurance he's liable, but sue him cos he's just lost his insurance cover. so a bit of bad luck, My daughter was a bit bruised up & the car was totalled. pushed the entire front across 200mm. We go see the driver the next day, with the Maori boyfriend for luck & come to a payment arangement.

the red e30 i strip down & sell almost everything on ebay or locally.

i amde $2700 on it which is more than we paid & learnt a lot about BM<W engineering, the way it was all put

together...

So with sum money in my pocket & the promise of more to come, we go looking for another e30.

It's just about impossible, they are selling like hot cakes, my shortlist was all sold.

except 1 which i only saw online. it was out the back being repaired. apparently sum1 had gotten water into the computer?

Well e looked at it & it was mint, new paint, gold basketweaves, factory radio... but the idle was uop & down, up & down. this was from a BMW dealer in the heart of town.

So we picked it up a few daze later, pretty much untested. as is. dint get far when i noticed the idle was still ranging up & down & the steering was sticking a bit. wouldn't return properly. took it back & they f**ked around with it some more. we said we'd get the alignment done as they said that's all it was & picked it up again.

it was still not right, sew eye rote to them & told them i wood take it into my BMW shop, beemer Motor world, a local wrecker. if it was going to cost anything they would hear from me...

Meanwhile I got the reciepts for the car, they'd spent $1000's about 5 of them, new torque converter & trans, all new Idle control, hoses, all the induction was new!

My guy spent about 5 minutes & had it running sweet, no charge, thanks Andy, you're allright, for a pom!

So I give it over to my daughter & she's away on her own, insured this time.

But the steering still sticks abit. She takes it to the garage around the corner from super cheap where she works, thye've quoted her $1000's the whole suspension is rooted so's the steering.

i sold the entire front end from the red one for $100!!!

But i'm taking it into see handy Andy, we'll get to the root of the problem, a 2nd hand ram perhaps, a new steering arm, anything larger, or if it affects the roadworthiness, back to the dealer, not that they can get it right...

i don't know if I can post photo's on here, but I'll try...

So where am now is i'm deciding what to do witht the e28 sitting back in invers ina s ea container, strapped down ready to go, costing me $170 a month in srtoage. gunner cost about $5k to get sent ove rhere & that's about what it'll be worth. i've got a 15year old son who will be getting his licence next year, so I've already dissuaded him from buying a ford falcon & persuaded him he should have the e23, had to throw in te 17's of my car....

But maybe i'll'give the e23 to my bro when he comes back this way & get the container over here with the e28???

Oar eye mite sell the e28 in NZ???

But here's the point in this whole dialogue... what's it going to be worth in NZ & who wants it????

isanybody interseted in a 520i that is out of rego, but has an awesome motor etc, it's pretty tidy, no rust.

And it used to belong to my kids school teacher, he used to bring it to school & do whelies on te school paddock.

can anyone help me out here? give me some ideas? I'm really leaning towards keeping it, it's cost me $4000 already. which is money under the bridge aleady for sure.

i thin I'd like to know what it's worth in it's present state, if it's nothing i'm keping it. If I could get sum $ for it i mite pawn it of, cut my losses..

finally thatnks for reading allt his!

post-4043-1234663627_thumb.jpg

post-4043-1234663681_thumb.jpg

post-4043-1234663773_thumb.jpg

post-4043-1234664074_thumb.jpg

If you could find a buyer over here, I'd say best would be around $600 to $800 deregistered.

Good luck.

Haha. Reminds me of the song "Blow my whistle b***h".

I think you deserve a prize for the longest introduction story. ^_^

Kiaora.

If you are the chick in the photo, your mint.

If not, learn how to use paragraphs.

Welcome.

If not, learn how to use paragraphs.

Welcome.

Haha, qtft.

Bet he'll love you saying that about his daughter :lol:

Haha. Reminds me of the song "Blow my whistle b***h".

I think you deserve a prize for the longest introduction story. ^_^

Kiaora.

lol exactly what I thought...

And YUS, this post most definitely beats my epic post from last month! Can safely say I don't hold the record anymore.

P.S. Welcome :)!

Edited by crazyarab

Thaks y'all, glad youse all picked up on the BLOW MY WHISTLE BITCH! watt didjew thin BMW stood for?

yup she's my daughter, yup she lives in WA here, yup, her b/f's a maori boy from the 'naki.

yup she was driving that red caar when it got that panel job.

eye bean reading thru sum of the silly things you boyz is doing, putting skyline motors in e30's just buy a skyline!!!

Get a 3.5 l drop that in a n e30!

The local wrecker here, he's got a V12, just reconed, think the guy maybe couldn't pay for it?

um hope ewes get the picture, it's a local sign, think it read hoons, but whatever, it's still works!

Edit by Grant - removed picture due to the fact that is was racist and offensive.

Edited by Grant

Thaks y'all, glad youse all picked up on the BLOW MY WHISTLE BITCH! watt didjew thin BMW stood for?

yup she's my daughter, yup she lives in WA here, yup, her b/f's a maori boy from the 'naki.

yup she was driving that red caar when it got that panel job.

eye bean reading thru sum of the silly things you boyz is doing, putting skyline motors in e30's just buy a skyline!!!

Get a 3.5 l drop that in a n e30!

The local wrecker here, he's got a V12, just reconed, think the guy maybe couldn't pay for it?

um hope ewes get the picture, it's a local sign, think it read hoons, but whatever, it's still works!

Welcome to the site BlowMyWhistle.

But can you please do us a favour and write in English. Reading this just does my head in.

Edited by Penry

Oosh. Ashkan, you just got the chop!