Sign in to follow this  
M3NTIL

battery replacement ?

hey

i think i have to replace my battery in my BMW E46 M3 2002 and i was thinking about going for a after market battery and i have no idea how to go about it , first of all is it even possible to get a after-market battery the exact same size so it fits in the gap in the boot or do i have to buy a genuine BMW battery ??

if someone could help me out with a serial number or point me in the right direction where to go it would be great

cheers andy

Andy,

You don't need to go original but make sure you get a comparable quality - Calcium type

Don't know for sure what battery is in your car but would imagine it being a Din88/92 - number varies depending on Battery supplier -eg Exide Din88, same battery in HCB Endurent is 92

Any auto sparky or Glenn if you are in Auckland (haven't checked your profile)

I can help Andy.. come and see me today... please ring first though

hi

please be careful when purchasing batteries. I recently purchased a battery from repco 19/12/09.

My car needed its battery replaced, once i replaced it, the car still had power issues, so i checked my car into mechanics, bmw, bmw workshop, to see if its a internal car fault.

In the end it was the battery, the battery has a 36 month warranty, and i took it back to repco for a replacement.

They did there volt checks and said nothing wrong with it. But only volt checks on the positive and negative contacts. I know it is a battery fault as i have another battery in my car now and the car works perfectly.

I feel a little pissed off as repco will not replace my battery saying that the volt check is standard. BMW has done an independent test on the battery and it came out 30% charge! "failed test".

So in the end, batteries could have internal problems beyond a stockest ability to pick up faults and no refund or replacement!

I am not bad mouthing repco, but i believe a more internal battery check should be provided. IF the battery does not work in a car, with another independent battery working obviously it means the non working battery has a fault.

Guest Simon*

I would strongly recommend, especially with a technology-loaded car like an E46, that you buy the BMW or BMW-endorsed battery. Aftermarket batteries may fail to live up to the task and as you've found Mr basildog, and even though they seem to fit they may not work at all. A lot of the modern BMW's have Calcium batteries and cannot be replaced with a store brand special.

I would strongly recommend, especially with a technology-loaded car like an E46, that you buy the BMW or BMW-endorsed battery. Aftermarket batteries may fail to live up to the task and as you've found Mr basildog, and even though they seem to fit they may not work at all. A lot of the modern BMW's have Calcium batteries and cannot be replaced with a store brand special.

+1 we only carry the calcium batteries with 3 year warranty ..Century brand. It doesn't have to be a genuine battery

The OEM supplier for BMW batteries is Exide - not sure if Exide is sold here in NZ as its own brand - but buying an Exide battery is exactly the same as buying a BMW battery, they are just rebranded and marked up.

A good alternative is the Mini cooper battery - which is exactly the same as the M3 CSL battery - you save about 19lb in weight from the OEM M3 Battery and it'll crank okay provided you don't run heavy audio equipment.

Just check that the CCA has enough juice to get your car going.

The standard E46 M3 battery Exide Classic CCA730 94R-60

Posted Image

It's actually used on a lot of other European cars (might pay to see which dealership has the cheapest price):

for e.g. Audi A4s, Chrysler 300, Dodge Challenger, Jag X-Type, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Commander, Land Rover LR2 and 3, Merc C300 and C350, Porsche Boxter, VW Gold, Jetta, Passat, Touareg

The Mini Cooper S Battery is Exide Classic CCA 600 - Part 47-60

Posted Image

Used in even more cars .. like Audi TTs, Jags, loads of Mercs, Loads of Saabs, Loads ov VWs and virtually the whole Volvo range LOL ....

Link to all battery specs and application search for Exide here: http://www.showmetheparts.com/n2ebattery/#

Edited by M3_Power

I recently got a Din65 Century Battery for my E36, the low wide types, I believe its a 15 plate battery. 580cca.

It seems most Euro cars can take these ones according to Century.

Goes very well, no complaints. I can't see how a E46 would need anything more.