Sign in to follow this  
my_e36

iPad 2 - who will be getting one?

as topic...

I will, or at least try. Heard there's only a handful of each type & size per store... erm.

Thinking about it. depends if the Wifi will work with the iphone 4 as a personal hot spot.

Thinking about it. depends if the Wifi will work with the iphone 4 as a personal hot spot.

of course it does that's the point!

Yes, this does work. I have used the hotspot with iPad gen 1, laptops etc etc

I will be ordering one online, unless it says 5 weeks delay :huh:

Crappy Apple notification system seems to have worked as well as it did with the iPhone 4 :lol:

Someone at Apple has decided that keeping your customers in the dark = hype and more sales ???

At least they have allowed us to use the iPhone as a 3G modem, so thankful for small mercies I guess B)

Apple Online Store starts selling at 3am, retail at 5pm.

(http://www.apple.com/nz/pr/library/2011/03/22ipad.html)

MagnumMac (YooBee) is going to close at 4pm then reopen at 5 for a "special event".

I wonder why on earth do they pick 5pm Friday to launch a product. People try to get home you know!

Edited by SpikeyLemon

I will be ordering one online, unless it says 5 weeks delay :huh:

Crappy Apple notification system seems to have worked as well as it did with the iPhone 4 :lol:

Someone at Apple has decided that keeping your customers in the dark = hype and more sales ???

At least they have allowed us to use the iPhone as a 3G modem, so thankful for small mercies I guess B)

It's my understanding that vfone tried to change the terms of sale at the last minute and apple said FU, which lead to a delay in launch. who really knows tho.

Apple Online Store starts selling at 3am, retail at 5pm.

MagnumMac (YouBee) is going to close at 4pm then reopen at 5 for a "special event".

I wonder why on earth do they pick 5pm Friday to launch a product. People try to get home you know!

My wishful thinking tells me that TNT (the courier apple use for online orders) is holding the stock for early online orders and that the shipping labels will be printed by them and then they will be sent on their way, by which time they should be arriving when the retail stores start selling at 5pm.

This may seem extreme but Apple do pay a premium on shipping for customized service. This has been demonstrated with other product launches where people who preordered could track their orders days before it arrived and the timeline showed their orders held at certain points in order to be released to the users on the launch date.

Alarm set, going to sleep now (soon). Maybe seeing a few of you at 3am.

Those smart covers are nice but pricey @ $69 (plastic) & $119 (leather).

For $119 I can (almost) order hand made leather cover from Italy.

Thinking.... thinking....

Edited by SpikeyLemon

Wife has decided not to queue up, so made an order online just now.

16GB 3G White with Pink cover <- women!

2-3 weeks wait for shipment.

Yep, I have too much on to que to be told no stock !! ( As happened with iPhone 4 )

Just ordered a white 32Gb online with Orange cover, Camera Kit and HDMI connection kit.

A little boy waits ......................

of course it does that's the point!

Ah ok well that's good, the first gen one didn't work with tethering or connection over bluetooth though, did it?

It's my understanding that vfone tried to change the terms of sale at the last minute and apple said FU, which lead to a delay in launch. who really knows tho.

This issue was more about pricing. pricing was not announced untill the day before. each phone was $80 cheaper than the 3gs. and the drama came when Vodafone realised they would have to take an $80 hit on margin on each phone.

I think ill walk dow to yoobee after work and see whats up, my friends are Djing at the launch party so that should be interesting!

Edit: if anyone is planing on buying a 3g ipad 2, you now need to buy a sim card from vodafone which costs $20 and comes with $20 credit. ipad 1 sims wont work in ipad 2 either.

Edited by Mobbin

Edit: if anyone is planing on buying a 3g ipad 2, you now need to buy a sim card from vodafone which costs $20 and comes with $20 credit. ipad 1 sims wont work in ipad 2 either.

i highly doubt this.

Omg.

So excited!

Been queuing up for the last 36 hours.

It's going to be sooooooooo much better than my outdated piece of crap iPad 1!

Not.

I'm no apple fanboy.

i highly doubt this.

I work for vodafone and this was the coms that came out yesterday.

Edited by Mobbin

I work for vodafone and this was the coms that came out yesterday.

yea but scince when did vodafone sales channels info actually reflect real world network operation

Edit: all the more reason to be rockin tcom or 2d

Edited by Matt45

LOL at vodafone dude =D Your network is to slow for the ipads man its not worth buying the micro sim for your network.

Also stocks were sold out within 14Mins at my DSE store today but got myself one after the line had gone down.

Online store is now looking at a 5week delay just like the US site and also a few of the factories making the battery/flash card/glass are running at very slow speeds as they are in japan with limited power.

LOL at vodafone dude =D Your network is to slow for the ipads man its not worth buying the micro sim for your network.

Also stocks were sold out within 14Mins at my DSE store today but got myself one after the line had gone down.

Online store is now looking at a 5week delay just like the US site and also a few of the factories making the battery/flash card/glass are running at very slow speeds as they are in japan with limited power.

Slow? i get 4.5Mbs down in the middle of Newmarket and 5.2Mb down in ponsonby right now?

Im not to worried about network vs network stuff, 90,000 customers on iphone plans for voda and 100k+ worth of iphone sales in my store this month keeps my pockets stacked ;)

and small store are always going to get small allocations, the line at yoobee (magnum mac) in new market, was still massive at 7pm.

Edited by Mobbin

yea but scince when did vodafone sales channels info actually reflect real world network operation

Edit: all the more reason to be rockin tcom or 2d

Agree. That's why I'll have my pre-paid XT microSIM ready when my iPad2 arrives. (My iPad1 came with a Voda SIM in the box, I didn't even open it.)

2D is good when you are on their cell towers, not so much when on Voda's.

Mobbin: It better be good in Newmarket and Ponsonby, it's meant to be on HSDPA 2100 band in those area. Did they say WHY the iPad1 SIM won't work in the iPad2? Or they say it to con (erm... persuade) customer into buying another SIM so HQ can boast their market share?

YooBee's queue is NUTz, ppl actually wait there with deck chairs and all from 10am to wait 7 hours to get their paws on the pad. 7pm when I got off work the queue is still all the way to Realto Mall. Lots of Twitter chat on this one.

Mobbin: It better be good in Newmarket and Ponsonby, it's meant to be on HSDPA 2100 band in those area. Did they say WHY the iPad1 SIM won't work in the iPad2? Or they say it to con (erm... persuade) customer into buying another SIM so HQ can boast their market share?

The whole net work is being upgraded to 21Mbps, so i would imagine in time most areas will get these speeds.

No they didn't say why it wont work, just that ipad 2 sims will work in both but ipad 1 sims wont work in the ipad 2.

The whole net work is being upgraded to 21Mbps, so i would imagine in time most areas will get these speeds.

No they didn't say why it wont work, just that ipad 2 sims will work in both but ipad 1 sims wont work in the ipad 2.

Hahaha yea good luck with the 21mbps

As for the sims, the only way they can stop them working is by blocking the use of All "ipad1 sims" with the ipad2's hardware ID.

Which is ridiculous as there is no Such thing as an iPad 1 sim! And there is no use other than bean counting to do so.

Hahaha yea good luck with the 21mbps

As for the sims, the only way they can stop them working is by blocking the use of All "ipad1 sims" with the ipad2's hardware ID.

Which is ridiculous as there is no Such thing as an iPad 1 sim! And there is no use other than bean counting to do so.

Well obviously your not going to get 21Mbps.... but the higher theoretical maximum, the higher speed you will actually see. im still getting 4-5mbps. its like getting 2-3mbps on telecoms 14Mbps network... <_<

Well i guess the only way to find out would be to try it and see if it works?

Edited by Mobbin

They came out yesterday. And my brothers business bought one, a 64gb one. its a pretty neat little toy.

So uhm. without having my face ripped off for useless comments...

wtf do you all use yours for?