Sign in to follow this  
Steve K-B

M52 stroked with M52B30 internals.

So Ive got all the parts and every thing was sent to an engine builder.

Turns out the sleeve at the top of the M52 block does not go right to the deck and this is where my problem is. With the M54 crank the rings now travel further up cylinder wall and past the sleeve.

I did plenty of searches over the internet but found nothing in regards to this problem. Does any one know if there are any diffrences within the M52 family of blocks? I know they had two diffrent sleeves, Nikasil and in america they used cast iron and I wonder if there was any diffrences with sleeve height?

thanks,

steve

Im aslo a little confused as all the sleeves ive ever seen have been presse in from the top....

From what I've read, the Alloy M52 with steel liners were post sept-98 and designated TU-3

Earlier M52's were either, iron block (ie. US market) or Nikasil treated AL blocks (ie. no liners).

Presume it was after the TU-3 they went to the Alusil bore treatment for the E46 3'er production.

How far below the deck is the top of the liner? and how would have the original head/gasket sealed?

Are you using the M54 piston/rings/rods or the M52?

Would you be able to post up a photo?

I'm doing the same thing but have an iron block. Unfortunately the current block will not be suitable because of the wear at the top of the bore.

I would like to hear how you get on with the alloy block

Im unsure how far down they are. I have the feeling the story has been mixed up between the engine builder, my old man and my self. Ill talk to him direct over the week.

If I get to see it I will take a photo for you bbs