Sign in to follow this  
DrphTa

E36 M3 Electrical issue - Headlights, ODO, Taillights, Instruments

Hey guys,

Long time no post..

Looks like I have an electrical gremlin in my car, at first I thought it was my headlight switch...

What happens is, turn the switch on for the lights. Outside headlights come on, left tailight comes on but the the number plate lights and right tailight don't come on. The interior cluster lights and all instrument lights (aircon too) do not light up either. When this initially started the lights actually wouldnt turn off with the switch. I had to constantly switch it On/Off 3 or 4 times to make them turn off

I have run a multi meter across the ones which aren't working, and no suprise there is no power.. Have power for the lights at the fuse box though, have switched fuses...

Dodgey relay you guys think? something else?

Cheers

Ethan

open your cars trunk, pull the wiring loom on the left side civered in rubber, thats the culprit that causes many electrical problems, if you notice you will see the wires are mangled togather in many cases are cut and touching other wires or have be melted togather in worse case I would start from there. you will be surprised the problems it can solve.

Thanks mate, the old tug trick worked on the tail light!

No success on the others though :(

the e36 headlight switches always fail ,with all sorts of problems , sell plenty of them

also the dimmer switches can somethimes fail