Sign in to follow this  
mwheelernz

E30 Damage to axel

Last night i had a accident where a tow truck has vered into my lane and hit me. From initial inspections it looks as though it will be a write off so now i have the decision of buying it back and trying to fix it as it is my pride and joy. The truck hit the drivers side of my car and the right front wheel has moved and looks as though it is campered. I believe it may be axel damage? if anyone can shed any light on possible damages and any approx costs of fixing it i would greatly appreciate it as I dont have too much time to decide whether i want to buy it back.

Also the insurance companies will only percieve market value as being half of what its worth as its a 86 in mint condition with one lady owner having it 27 years before me. So just if anyone has any idea how i could prove to insurance company that market value is much higher then what they are going to say it will be.

Thanks for the help!

Last night i had a accident where a tow truck has vered into my lane and hit me. From initial inspections it looks as though it will be a write off so now i have the decision of buying it back and trying to fix it as it is my pride and joy. The truck hit the drivers side of my car and the right front wheel has moved and looks as though it is campered. I believe it may be axel damage? if anyone can shed any light on possible damages and any approx costs of fixing it i would greatly appreciate it as I dont have too much time to decide whether i want to buy it back.

Also the insurance companies will only percieve market value as being half of what its worth as its a 86 in mint condition with one lady owner having it 27 years before me. So just if anyone has any idea how i could prove to insurance company that market value is much higher then what they are going to say it will be.

Thanks for the help!

unlikely you will be able to proove much. a 320i isnt exactly desirable. Every owner of every car thats ever been written off tries to contest its value.

If its manual it might be worth buying back, or depending how many goodies are on it.

but otherwise, just move on.

possible damage includes bent control arm, bent subframe, bent/broken steering arm/rack/both, strut no good (wheel bearing rooted), buckled wheel, new fender and bumpers, maybe bonnet etc.

I had a look at an E36 last week that was like this, only the front left side, and thats everything that was broken on that car.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

pictures.

probably best to get it inspected properly. if it's just the suspension components and guard those are easy to replace.. but if it's all bent out of shape it slowly becomes less worth it.

pictures.

probably best to get it inspected properly. if it's just the suspension components and guard those are easy to replace.. but if it's all bent out of shape it slowly becomes less worth it.

Unfortunately it is at the tow yard waiting for assesors to go and veiw it, so dont have any pictures of the wheel damage as yet. However i do have a picture of the panel damage if thatll help at all

oh aye, Doesn't look too bad... definately worth checking it out - even if the insurer writes it off you could buyback and fix

I got rear ended in my e30 last year back in the UK (it was a far from mint condition car but still got plenty of love as everyone thought it looked very cool, because they are!)

Anyway there was a similar looking amount of damage to what yours LOOKS like it has. A few days after the accident the assessor came out to value/look at the damage. he basically said 'It's a write off to be honest mate, but you obviously really like it and its getting to be a classic car now so i'll put it to the insurers and see if they'll repair it'

They didn't want to repair it but we basically came to an agreement where they gave me 1k pounds (roughly $2000) to walk away and 'get it repaired myself'. The car was never listed as written off, they just didn't want the hassle of repairing a rusty old car where costs might get out of hand. I didn't even know that was an option but it certainly kept paperwork tidy with no dodgy history on the cars record. Plus I got to keep my awesome car!

Maybe they do that over here sometimes? Ask them

What I have done in the past with vero was to tell them to give me a cheque of a certain amount and I'd disappear and they won't deregistered the vehicle.

I did this with a 2010 ninja that was a year old at the time. Red Baron assessed the damage and said it would be 3000 to repair, so 2 weeks after hearing that I still hadn't heard anything from vero. I called them up, told them to give me a cheque for 2500 and I'd consider the matter settled. The cheque arrived 2 days later. I fixed the bike with second hand parts and give it a custom paint job (nissan r35 gtr pearl white) for 1200, I pocketed the rest, and sold the bike for a decent profit :-)

Also were you driving in his blind spot? I drive trucks a lot and it 'grinds my gears' when cars cruise along in my blind spot

no I was not driving in his blind spot, i was on the left lane and came up beside him leading into the roundabout, there was so much time that i was not in his blindspot for him to see me. Police came to the scene and stated that he was in the wrong as he crossed into my lane. Then as i was infront of him in the roundabout he cut across and exited the roundabout in my lane cutting me off and hitting me

no I was not driving in his blind spot, i was on the left lane and came up beside him leading into the roundabout, there was so much time that i was not in his blindspot for him to see me. Police came to the scene and stated that he was in the wrong as he crossed into my lane. Then as i was infront of him in the roundabout he cut across and exited the roundabout in my lane cutting me off and hitting me

I too drive trucks from time to time,

there is a reason they have signs on the back of a lot of trucks 'do not pass turning vehicle' etc etc

But yes that doesnt make him immune from the law, he isnt allowed to cross the center line, but sometimes that doesnt work in practise.

But your car looks reletively okay from what can be seen in that pic!

Yep, as mentioned, from what I can see in the pic - damage looks minor - a guard & maybe a few suspension components.

Insurance company - challenge them to find you another example in comparable condition. Don't let them walk over you!

Also were you driving in his blind spot? I drive trucks a lot and it 'grinds my gears' when cars cruise along in my blind spot

That is not a good excuse and that is way we have three mirrors on the passenger side,

just stay in your own lane.

Hope u can get it fixed

If it was a tow truck it would have probably been one of those little ClassII Hinos or whatever from a thousand years ago.

I always find those to be driven by people who don't give a f**k.