Sign in to follow this  
BenjaminBMW

What did they do to my 2005 525i Wagon..?!

Hello!

I'm brand new, to BMW cars and New Zealand, so, a complete noob!

I've just picked up a 2005 525i Wagon, which looks to have been imported from Japan, but maybe via the UK?!

Anyway, it has iDrive with FM/AM/CD changer (which doesn't seem to have power)/TV(!) and possibly MD? I was hoping to get some sort of Bluetooth going, mainly for Spotify playback through my Galaxy Note 3, but also for calls, I guess. I just need some help trying to work out what's gone on before I got it as there's cables and devices everywhere! I can't see any Bluetooth options anywhere in the iDrive menus and, while Navigation is an option, there's no Map shown and I can't choose a destination etc...

Could you guys help me identify the parts I have and the parts I'm missing to make my Bluetooth/Aux dream come true?

Here are some pictures...

post-51531-0-80725200-1400915933_thumb.j

post-51531-0-18381400-1400915943_thumb.j

post-51531-0-41227700-1400915963_thumb.j

post-51531-0-50045800-1400915987_thumb.j

post-51531-0-95317000-1400916004_thumb.j

post-51531-0-08150300-1400916019_thumb.j

post-51531-0-21559400-1400916028_thumb.j

• Like 1

Is this a blue 525i from a dealer at Ardmore about a year ago? The reason I asked is that I looked at one there when buying mine and the wiring appeared to have been butchered in a similar manner.

This is a Japan import BMW, we have converted the hundreds of them to NZ radio and navigation with NZ map. We also retrofit BMW oem integrated bluetooth etc..

Contact us, we can sort everything out for you very easy.

In your third pic down you have a hi level to low level converter.

This enables an amp to be used that doesnt have hi level inputs (most dont).

Follow the rca lead on the end (the black wire with the red and white plugs) to see what is on the other end of it.

Report back.

Right...I've now found a Mobridge Bluetooth/iPod/Aux unit under the back seats. There's an AV cable running to the centre console, terminating into red, white and yellow RCA connectors along with an on/off switch, but I can't get a signal from any of the sources through that.

There is a bluetooth signal, but my Galaxy Note 3 won't connect to it. Says the passkey is incorrect, so either it's been changed or it's knackered.

There's no "Communications" menu on the iDrive as a few of the tutorials show, so I'm at a loss...

Anyone know anything about these units?

Cheers,

Ben

Hi Ben, I'm new to BMWs too and have also recently acquired an E61 :-) Given I'm new to this also, don't take it for gospel, but picture 4 (that's behind the rear seats, right?) is where you would normally find the factory Bluetooth module, or in my case a Motorola phone module that doesn't have Bluetooth :(

Does your iDrive have an Auxiliary option available? If so, the Mobridge may input to that, otherwise maybe it has been patched into the former CD changer wiring? Either way it's unlikely to work natively with the iDrive phone controls etc.

Yes, these Japanese imports do tend to have Minidisc players and TV's, not that the TV will work here. And I'm pretty sure that is just a CD slot in the front but delving into the coding side of things, I see the mention of DVD region 2 (Japan) in mine, so not sure. Doesn't do anything with the odd region 2 DVD I've tried in it. Maybe it will read Japanese DVD navigation discs or something?

At least yours has got the NZ FM frequencies and RDS working :)

All can be sorted, if your mobridge is not in bluetooth menu its not coded right, call me 0212275010 and all can be sorted