Sign in to follow this  
Auzeras

M30B35 head rebuild/replace

Time to get some head.. but not in the way you want, 220kms on the engine which has a very worn cam, eccentrics and rockers (oil starvation does that to ya)

Solution - Rebuild head (so far quoted around $800 for parts) OR buy a rebuilt new one - so far the only source for that has been from VAC Motorsports in the US which is going to cost me $1k

Any places in NZ that would sell valve train components for an M30B35 (or have a reconditioned head/another M30 head?) so far I have sourced a cam from an Auckland shop for $300 but the remaining parts are coming in from overseas. Would like to buy from NZ if possible, makes it easier.

What would you do with a 220km engine? Am I better off rebuilding myself or is $1k for a recon head a better deal?

Cheers,

I'd like to but I'm feeling cost would be prohibitive, Ireland Engineering rockers are only $5 extra over stock ea but a performance cam adds nearly $200 (plus US shipping) and ideally you'd replace the valves and port it out +2mm pairing it with a MAF (to replace the AFM) and a remap + new injectors.. which kinda takes it beyond what I can spend.

The sport head package from VAC adds an extra $300 USD to the price vs the stock package ($1100 vs $650 USD)

Well then if your worried about cost keep it standard and try find a mint/good one from a wreakers, put that in and in your own time rebuild the one you have now.

Edited by Ace of Spades

12 rockers - $180

12 valve seals - $12

Cam regrind - $150

some valve grind paste - $20?

and whatever a skimmed head costs...

Can do you 12 good 2nd hand rockers for $100 incl post if you want?

Cheers for the cost up & offers guys, I'll let you know what I need. Matt, where did you get your prices from? I'd find a good head to drop on, the problem is sourcing a head for an M30B35 in NZ, I found one or two but the cars were either suffering from overheating or badly wrecked. Those big aluminium castings are very prone to cracking with heat so I didn't want to run the risk of getting it.

Thanks for the offer David, I'll keep you posted. Don't hold them on my behalf though. If they sell they sell.