Sign in to follow this  
RustyItalian

Business liability query

I figured I may as well ask here given the number of knowledgeable people in business here.

I'm a contractor in a high-value international industry (in short USA, planes). I am looking to do work for a US company and have been presented a contract that dumps all liability on my company. That is not unusual in my game, they will have similar wording in their contract with their customer above them. I just happen to be the bottom of the chain so sh*t flows downhill.

I will be working (and contracted) under my NZ company name, not personally.

Am I correct that by working under my company name that if things turn bad I can wind up my NZ company and there is then no-one to take to court? The only hitch with this plan is any court proceedings would be in the USA and therefore completely bollocks.

Local suppliers of liability insurance have either laughed at me or quoted $15,000 per year... :-0

In reality it is very unlikely any of this would be called upon. End of the day someone else will be approving my work higher up the chain, any court would point finger at them, but cost of defense falls on me per this bad wording.

Richard

Any protection you have as a limited liability company in NZ will probably not apply if you get taken to court in the US, you should probably get a US lawyer to have a look at the contract and advise you.

• Like 1

Thankfully today I convinced the company to revise their liability clause such that they indemnify me. Whew...