Sign in to follow this  
Beemagirl

Car misdiagnosis then cracked head

I'm after mechanics support please 

Bmw 318ti 99 

At the end of may , during a service at my regular mechanic
Mechanic called me with some bad news to please come a look at car whilst on hoist
He's pointed out to me , the few drips of green radiator fluid at the bottom right hand side of engine , and has suggested it's a blown head gasket , Daniel suggest finding a suitable repairer
I've called my Janssen break down insurance
They have suggested an auto electrical out west
service manager has noted down on my original receipt-customer thinks head gasket -checked elsewhere

He has then called me a week later and to my surprise I was told it's the radiator that needs replacing. ( I nor my mechanic ever thought there was an issue with the radiator-eg no over heating , no large filling of resoivoir
The only test performed was a TK test-results performed well
I've ok the repair , and car returned to me 9 June
Janssen has paid for that .I paid the excess

3 months later the car has broken down , been towed back to auto repair  , then diagnosed with a cracked head .
The k's that were done in 3 months were 1900
This car is surplus to use , we have a main car
And I work from home
The trips the car did was two small trips per week for 3 months , North Shore 60 km return and west auck 40 km return

my original mechanic although he did not officially diagnose the car as having head gasket problems , he did suggest I get it repaired.
He also says the two tests usually done to diagnose head gaskets , would not have picked this up , due to its placement and minor leak .
He wishes the car had been put on hoist
And a visual test done .
He's disappointed it was missed.

In short , the repairer refuses to take any responsibility 

And I'm in for a 2.5-3k repair

What tests would you have performed , especially if the car was bought to you with the knowledge it had a head gasket issue ???

Any suggestions what to do now ??

Thank you thank you 

the original repairer wont just easily say "oh yep our fault we will give you a replacement engine" just like that. you might have to hassle them or take them to small claims court.

alternatively, can you not just claim mechanical warranty again? 

• Like 1

From your description it could be one of many things causing the original coolant leak. Radiators, hoses etc all fail & one of them would have been the likely culprit. Why did you original mechanic not pressure test the system to diagnose it? Did he confirm the head gasket?

Did the repairers pressure test the system? Presumably they did & confirmed the radiator at fault? A slightly leaking/seeping radiator is not going to cause the engine to overheat, nor consume large amounts of coolant. That said, any loss needs to be identified.

If the repairer did infact confirm the radiator as the fault & repaired/replaced accordingly & fixed the leak then I don;t blame them for not accepting responsibility. They fixed the problem on hand.

1900km is plenty of distance for a fault to develop. Why was the car required to be towed to recover - did it run out of coolant/ overheat? Did the car stop on you/ did you stop it, if so why? If it had overheated then - i would suspect that was when the head cracked.

Also - had it still been using coolant after the radiator repair?

• Like 1

Head gasket not always a major issue.I had my 535 for many years .In that time it always had a very slow coolant leak,pretty sure it was the heater.Towards the end of my time with it it developed a misfire at start up.would misfire occasioanly,then it slowly became more and more frequent,and coolant use increased slightly.I asked twice at a reputable Wellington workshop to check head gasket.Both times they said they could not identify  a head gasket leak.In the end i told them to pulll it to bits anyway,and there was a leak between 5 and 6.Apart from a very slow coolant use and the instantaneous misfire at start up,there were no other symptoms