Sign in to follow this  
shadowninja

Crack down on boyracers

"Seven cars impounded in boy racers sting

20 March 2004

Seven cars were impounded and almost 300 traffic tickets issued during an overnight operation against boy racers in south Auckland, police said today.

The operation took place in the Smales Rd and Harris Rd area of East Tamaki, a popular venue for off-street racing.

A police spokesman said officers went through 200 cars, issuing about $100 in fines.

Seven cars were impounded under legislation passed last year to combat boy racers, while 291 tickets were issued for a range of offences."

200 cars... $100 in fines? Thats $0.50 each! I'm moving to Auckland!!!! :P

Guest Andrew

I think you under estimate the power of a 50c fine - thats at least ONE sticker - meaning they won't be able to add 10 hp to there ride over the next week.

Fair call... and if we listen to the police every 10bhp reduction in car power is linked directly to a reduction in road fatalities.

Mind you with the average fines down here I could wallpaper my lounge with stickers. :D

GOOD sh*t!!!! i don't agree with wasting my tax $$$$$ on repairing roads destroyed by diesel spills, it's almost as bad as giving out the doll and DPB to anyone who say's " but i can't get a job ", i think if your car can't skin it's tires on a dry road, don't do it, B.

impound any car thats racing, and slap fines on anyone in the area.. thats gonna sort it all eventually... but as the cops always do some poor bastard driving through that just happens to have a nice ride will get ping'd pulled from his car and rodney king'd...

*rubs hands together"

sounds like a damn good night to me!!

Uhh... what does that mean in english? :huh:

read it again.. maybe the L.A riots were a little before your time..

oh and it was in english (mostly, except some slang, and bad grammer).. learn to read it

I'd be gutted to get a fine for watching a race or burnout :lol: , and wouldn't putting diesel down actually protect the road as its sort of a lubricant, as opposed to doing it dry?

Ohh yeah, say for example two 50 year old guy gets caught racing their Porches or upmarket BMWs, will their cars get impounded?

Or just that law just apply for those young pricks driving rice?

Guest Spargo

I'll admit i have watched, and probably will do so until a legal solution can be found, but the solution doesn't lie with fines. America has worse fines for spectating than participating, and look at their import scene!

A workable legal alternative is the answer, but the gummit still prefers money raising to finding a cure.

You won't ever see a bimmersport sticker there, i go with ricers!

wouldn't putting diesel down actually protect the road as its sort of a lubricant, as opposed to doing it dry?

Nah, the diesel eats into the road surface and leaves a gooey sogy mess, takes a day or two but it does f**k it, petrol is even worse.

I like watching a good skid as much as anyone here, but at least you can apreciate the vehicle when it has the balls to rip loose in the dry, B.

read it again.. maybe the L.A riots were a little before your time..

oh and it was in english (mostly, except some slang, and bad grammer).. learn to read it

Nah sic I was responding to the post before yours.

I understood you fine (and I'm probably older that you are, and my wife is from California so I know ALL about the Rodney King riots). :D

Fines are not the answer... we read in the paper all the time about losers accruing thousands of dollars in fines they will never pay. Confiscating the cars & selling them to pay for the fines might work better!

Nah sic I was responding to the post before yours.

I understood you fine

Fines are not the answer... we read in the paper all the time about losers accruing thousands of dollars in fines they will never pay. Confiscating the cars & selling them to pay for the fines might work better!

coolies.

leagal theft of someones car seems good on paper but once again there will be joe bimmersport member out enjoying a night out and end up getting his car taken cause the cop is in a bad mood and lays some crap on you for going 61 kph..

Diesel on the roads is moronic. Expecially if you consider that people will be having to drive on there at some point in time.. If youre a moron in your car, you dont deserve it.

Guest Spargo

Oh come on! I doubt you'll ever be a crime virgin in your bimmer! EVERYBODY HERE has done something stupid in their car. I guarantee it. Whether it's in private property or public land, it doesn't really matter, but to get on your high horse is a little bit rich.

Yeah, my flatmate was there....and got green stickered.. :wacko: ..the chick drivin his car received a $1100 ticket.....$500 just for being on Harris Road.... :mellow:

leagal theft of someones car seems good on paper but once again there will be joe bimmersport member out enjoying a night out and end up getting his car taken cause the cop is in a bad mood and lays some crap on you for going 61 kph..

"Legal theft" doesn't wash with me I'm afraid. I'm talking here about the repeat offenders accruing thousands and thousands of dollars and in fines for speeding, driving without a license and other nuisance crimes. They don't have the means nor the will to pay for it out of their own pocket. It just seems logical to confiscate the offending vehicle, sell it to help offset the cost of the fines.

I'm not talking about pigs with grudges on the roads, I'm talking about debt collection.

"Legal theft" doesn't wash with me I'm afraid. I'm talking here about the repeat offenders accruing thousands and thousands of dollars and in fines for speeding, driving without a license and other nuisance crimes. They don't have the means nor the will to pay for it out of their own pocket. It just seems logical to confiscate the offending vehicle, sell it to help offset the cost of the fines.

I'm not talking about pigs with grudges on the roads, I'm talking about debt collection.

I take it you havent heard all the adds everywhere about the "The confiscated car club" ????? there everywhere in the bus stops on sides of buses in the paper on tv even on the radio. Your suggestion is exactly what there doing, not before time either, B.

Oh come on! I doubt you'll ever be a crime virgin in your bimmer! EVERYBODY HERE has done something stupid in their car. I guarantee it. Whether it's in private property or public land, it doesn't really matter, but to get on your high horse is a little bit rich.

I think another point to note on the issue is that there are differing degrees of stupidity. For example accidentally loosing traction in an unfamiliar car for a few seconds is certianly nothing compared to say, participating in illegal street drags. Sure, everyone does something stupid, but chances are the people that participate in street racing or burnouts or whatever do it more than just once (tho I'm sure not all do, somewhat of a generalisation on my part but I think you get what I mean).

At the end of the day, Save it for the track

I take it you havent heard all the adds everywhere about the "The confiscated car club

I had seen a bus-stop poster for that but thought it was a joke. Shows how much time I spend watching TV! :lol:

Of course everyone doesnt adhere to the law all the time.

But there is a difference in seriousness of the problem... And yes it is designed to collect the fines people arent paying (and might i add i always pay my fines even when one of them was something fabricated by the police)...

i knew a guy, you know, friend of a friend of a friend, he had a bimmer, a nasty japped up 325, got it repro'd cause he was in all kinds of debt, and he ended up taking his own life...

"legal theft" should be an extreme... as for all those stupid c**ts outthere amassing huge unpayable fines because they just dont learn and keep on repeat offending and keep getting caught.. f**k em' take their house too...

just imagine if all the money collected was spent on making all new zealands roads 4 lanes wide and resurfaced, and driver training... instead of stupid ad campaigns and new police cars and speed traps...

*sigh*

if only...

just imagine if all the money collected was spent on making all new zealands roads 4 lanes wide and resurfaced, and driver training... instead of stupid ad campaigns and new police cars and speed traps...

Perfectly said..I couldn't agree more.

That is the way to lower the road toll, have decent first world roads, not the third world goat tracks that we currently have to put up with.

Cheers

so true....how retarded would you have to be to crash on a road such as the road up to silverdale from the shore.....having been to germany it is actually better than some of the autobahns there.....the speed limit could be 110 or so as the 2 lanes are separated....its smooth...a beautiful road to drive at night...ive seen cop cars cruising along at 150 at night when they think no one is watching.....having side roads like SH1b :D would cater to people who want to drive on scum side roads......ah if only new zealanders could drive.....its a sad fact that most of us cant...drive training would do wonders (imagine if everyone in nz had to attend a day like taupo) as half of all people on the road have absolutely NO idea of what is going on around them or what is happening when they go round a corner in their car.....ah dreams are free