Sign in to follow this  
Jaredsc

Remote central locking

Neither remote seems to be working with my car. Its a 1997 320i, replaced the 2 batteries inside it on sat, cause it only worked when you were right close to the drivers window. Worked fine.

Then decided to switch to the spare remote key (as its in better condition). Didnt work after that at all, not even when I swapped back to the original key! Anyone had this prob? Could be it doesnt recognise the key or something, that or the reciever in the car is dirty or doesnt work anymore. Where is this located?

Probably need to see you local BMW centre to get it reprogrammed... Should be a quick job

As far as I know the remote locking reciever is in the rear vision mirror, this has happened before to my dads 540.

Somehow when he was locking it or unlocking it he pressed a series of buttons that kinda 'reset' the key, so all you need to do as jjs said go to a BMW dealer and they would reprogram it.

Or in the worst case they might need to order a new key from germany, but that still doesn't take that long. If I remember correctly he got a spare key and that arrived within the week.

Please correct me if i'm wrong anyone!??

Neither remote seems to be working with my car. Its a 1997 320i, replaced the 2 batteries inside it on sat, cause it only worked when you were right close to the drivers window. Worked fine.

Then decided to switch to the spare remote key (as its in better condition). Didnt work after that at all, not even when I swapped back to the original key! Anyone had this prob? Could be it doesnt recognise the key or something, that or the reciever in the car is dirty or doesnt work anymore. Where is this located?

I have a kinda similar problem.

Mine hardly works as well, have to hold it real close to car and wave it around alot, even though I replaced batteries.

Does anyone know how to fix shitty reception for these things?

Dunno bout the not working at all part though.

I have a kinda similar problem.

Mine hardly works as well, have to hold it real close to car and wave it around alot, even though I replaced batteries.

Does anyone know how to fix shitty reception for these things?

Dunno bout the not working at all part though.

Is your car of Jap origin? If so they use an infra red signal between car & remote whereas other markets use RF which has much better range. Not much you can do about it.

Is your car of Jap origin? If so they use an infra red signal between car & remote whereas other markets use RF which has much better range. Not much you can do about it.

Yeah tis.

The little things you don't find out about a car until after you own it huh.

Cheers mate

Thanks for that. Any idea what they would charge for a new remote and/or reprogramming it?

Reprogramming an infrared remote after you've left the batteries out too long (or they went flat0 is described in the user manual. Don't pay anyone for this.

Activating a key with the immobiliser system (if fitted) can and must only be done at a BMW dealer

the two issues are separate.

I tried re-programming the remotes as it described in the manual. The LED flashes for 10 sec, but the doors dont unlock and lock 3 times to indicate that it is initialised. Tried with both keys, so it cant be that. Do you have any ideas what might be causing it? I thought it could be that the reciever in the mirror has stopped working. Should I take it to a BMW service centre? I'm pretty sure my model doesnt have an immobiliser system.

I tried re-programming the remotes as it described in the manual. The LED flashes for 10 sec, but the doors dont unlock and lock 3 times to indicate that it is initialised. Tried with both keys, so it cant be that. Do you have any ideas what might be causing it? I thought it could be that the reciever in the mirror has stopped working. Should I take it to a BMW service centre? I'm pretty sure my model doesnt have an immobiliser system.

I had same prob, not wking after changing batteries and couldn't reprog despite using all the tips I could find on the web. Went to Jeff Gray BMW in Wgtn today. Nice man reprogrammed the two keys in about 30 sec. No charge. Don't know what he did, don't care!

I tried re-programming the remotes as it described in the manual. The LED flashes for 10 sec, but the doors dont unlock and lock 3 times to indicate that it is initialised.

Exact same thing happens with mine.. Sucks..

Edited by doobie