Sign in to follow this  
far4ngn

Strange knocking at power off

My e30 318is is making some strange noises when you power off the throttle... it sounds more like the exhaust is loose and knocks against the body a few times? (eg 2-3). It seems to be coming from the rear and more recently only when turning right.

Checked the exhaust, pulled to and fro on the rear wheels, incase I had a bit of play on a bearing, but everything seems secure... any ideas?

Could be any number of things at the rear end, shock mounts, bushes, CV's or could be muffler mounted incorrectly or g/box/engine mounts.

check the driveshaft centre hanger bearing and rubber mount and the rubber coupling (dounut) behind the gearbox and the bolts securing the prop to the diff are tight. Also check gearbox mountings have not failed allowing the gearbox to move around under accel/deaccel..

Will

Thanks alot guys.

The garage have called to advise that it was the driveshaft to the diff was loose and could have fallen out?? They say the thread is ok and it looks as if the bolts hadnt been tightened. I've never had the diff looked at so it must be some previous work.... they don't think they came loose because of another failing part.

Luckily the car only travels short distances, so it's taken a while to appear.

I'll let you know more tomorrow when I get it back.

The actual story is the diff itself was loose?? Not sure how that can happen... anyway they've checked and tightened every bolt. Hopefully that fixes it.

The noise is still there even after the diff was tightened.... I'll need to check this weekend.

Ont thing I noticed the sound is still audible when the car is in neutral and coasting.... but is more obvious after you take your foot off the accelerator whilst in gear???

I had a problem similar to this.

It turned out being that one of the bolts that holds the trans crossmember in had come out and it was the crossmember banging against the chassis that was making the noise.

Id advise you to just get under the car and look at any bolts that mount your driveline.

As Will said. Id check the hanger bearing rubber. This tears quite easily and also will make a knocking noise.

The car is in at Page European, they've found that my diff is goosed and that the rattling noise is coming from there!! The 318is is fitted with a 345, so they're going to see if they can find a suitable replacement second hand.