Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

need help to upgrade 325i

i have a 1985 320i and i have just purchased a 325i motor to put in complete with everything exept flywheel clutch dizzy water pump ecu and throttle body. i am getting the engine balanced, re ringed honed out port polished and a 3 angle valve. can anyone advise me on what ecu to get and what i can do to get the most out of this motor?

many thanks oli

If it was me i wouldnt bother balancing,or port polishing. Id just upgrade the cam to a mild shrick one, re ring,check condition of the pistons, Some tidy extractors, Good exhaust system, and a basic link computer system. Done! 190ish hp good relaibility and save dollars on mods that dont do alot performance to dollar wise.

Edited by drifty340i

If it was me i wouldnt bother balancing,or port polishing. Id just upgrade the cam to a mild shrick one, re ring,check condition of the pistons, Some tidy extractors, Good exhaust system, and a basic link computer system. Done! 190ish hp good relaibility and save dollars on mods that dont do alot performance to dollar wise.

What about things like adjustable pressure regulator and crap like that? i heard that the bmw motors are alredy pretty well balanced. do you know where i can get things like a new cam etc for it?

What about things like adjustable pressure regulator and crap like that? i heard that the bmw motors are alredy pretty well balanced. do you know where i can get things like a new cam etc for it?

Dont bother with the adjustable regulator, i would upgrade the fuel pump to a small 500hp walbro one. and get the injectors checked.

The site you had a link to (ireland engineering) is dam good, expensive but good

NB: If you go the Link route - you will most likely need to change your injectors.

so apart from geting a new cam n fuel pump and exhaust system cold intake what are some good ways i can get my 325i motor hauling but not brake the bank?? :D

Nothing much mate, everything else is dam expensive to do with little gains to be had.

so apart from geting a new cam n fuel pump and exhaust system cold intake what are some good ways i can get my 325i motor hauling but not brake the bank?? :D

I don't see how a fuel pump will make your car faster, unless you old one isn't up to the job. Pressure is controlled by the regulator. even cam, and intake/exhaust mods cost a lot for minor gains. Other common mods are bigger injectors, AFM and chip. I can't tell you how effective those are though, lots of different opinions around on effectiveness

Most of the guys making decent power with M20's have done full performance builds and are stroked, bored, have head work, balanced etc. all big $$$

im making the exhaust myself so thats not a biggy. do you know where i can get adjustable pressure regulators and injectors and chip and everything for fairly cheap?