Sign in to follow this  
bmw.maniac

F/L e30 316i

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at a f/l 316i for my son. It's manual, pretty much mint and low kms.

But i've heard that the m40 can be a bitch, and the 316i are pretty slow.

What are your opinions on the 316i?

Cheers

Well I only just got out of one haha.

M40 isn't too much of a bitch than anything else. Sure the M10 is chain driven etc, I have a "Problem on cold idle" at the moment where my 316 stalls if ur rev it on cold.

The 316 is pretty slow but who wants a rocket for a 16 year old. If you put your foot down then you can get some sort of life out of it. Manual would be better than an auto anyway.

I say go for it, when you go back to M10 you also go back a couple of years. Which entails other problems.

I had a manual 316 for my first car and it went good for what it was. Now i own a manual 318 m10 and i have to say it goes a hell of a lot better than the m40 316 even though the m10 is claimed to only have 5 more hp or something like that but i found in reality goes way better and is just as economical as 316.

Good thing about the 316i is that it has FL styling, and guys, how much rust has anyone found in a FL compared to a pre- FL!

I have had 2 manual 316i's, and they were amazing. At 200km my first one's clutch died, and at 200km my second (less well loved, but still mint) ones tappets got noisy and needed replacing.

thats ALL i did to them.

I'd highly reccomend it. Unless he currently drives a powerful car, he wont find performance lacking too much at all. (unless car is full of mates)