Sign in to follow this  
Druid

5 Series General Queries

Hey, me again, the old codger :)

Couple of queries.

In the mornings, the transmission seems VERY slow to change, refusing to go to second until somehwere around 4 grand, which is much higher than I'd like, especially on a cold motor. I'd like to change the transmission fluid in the hope it might help. After some research on the net I've found a couple websites that suggest I can drain the fluid in it and then should be able to fill it through a fill hole, which there appears to be no sign of, and theres no dipstick for the trans that I can see either. I've also found two conflicting websites about the fluid I should use. One says Dexron II fluid and the other says Dexron III, which is correct? And how do I fill the trans up again once I've drained it!

Other thing was how do I get to the rear speaker wires? Theres not enough low frequency bass so I'm going to put a cheap subwoofer in to reinfornce the lower end (yeah my sons fault, bastard got me spending money on stereo equipment and now I can't go back - blast). But I need to get to the rear speaker wires so I can use the speaker level inputs on my amplifier. No I don't want to use RCAs, I have no desire to change what is a perfectly good source unit. Having said that, how do I get it out though - undamaged, so I can get remote power for the amplifier.

Thanks, Druid

P.S. - Car is a 94 520I Executive, trans is what I believe to be a 'sealed for life' 5spd auto,ZF brand

Hey, me again, the old codger :)

Couple of queries.

In the mornings, the transmission seems VERY slow to change, refusing to go to second until somehwere around 4 grand, which is much higher than I'd like, especially on a cold motor. I'd like to change the transmission fluid in the hope it might help. After some research on the net I've found a couple websites that suggest I can drain the fluid in it and then should be able to fill it through a fill hole, which there appears to be no sign of, and theres no dipstick for the trans that I can see either. I've also found two conflicting websites about the fluid I should use. One says Dexron II fluid and the other says Dexron III, which is correct? And how do I fill the trans up again once I've drained it!

Other thing was how do I get to the rear speaker wires? Theres not enough low frequency bass so I'm going to put a cheap subwoofer in to reinfornce the lower end (yeah my sons fault, bastard got me spending money on stereo equipment and now I can't go back - blast). But I need to get to the rear speaker wires so I can use the speaker level inputs on my amplifier. No I don't want to use RCAs, I have no desire to change what is a perfectly good source unit. Having said that, how do I get it out though - undamaged, so I can get remote power for the amplifier.

Thanks, Druid

P.S. - Car is a 94 520I Executive, trans is what I believe to be a 'sealed for life' 5spd auto,ZF brand

Being 94 id go Dexron III, seems to be what is recommended for the gm & zf transmissions of your era. I use III on my e34 and e32

You prob have the non dipstick trans but there should be a drain hole and a filler hole under the trans. Filler plug on the side somewhere and drain plug on the bottom you may of missed it, id imagine it would be small, allen key head

Not to sure what you mean by getting to the rear speaker wires?, you can pry the rear speaker shrouds off and remove the rear speakers if that what you after