Sign in to follow this  
Brennan

Coolant system breakage

Hey guys

i was driving to taupo yesterday when the bottom connection of the thermostat housing (metal part not the hose) on my e30 325i broke spilling all the coolant out of the system. After getting towed home I put the housing in off my 525e for the time being (realoem had the thermostats the same part number). It runs all right but now it's making a really bad whining sound toward the rear of the engine in the intake side of things. This only starts about a minute after the engine is turned on (maybe air in the coolant and it has begun circulating?)

I had to keep driving for a few hundred metres to find a safe spot to pull over i hope that hasnt caused any damage?

Any ideas would be great

Not too sure on that one - just make sure you have bleed your system properly (do a search on the forum as theres a bit of info on that round) My first thought was slippage on your front pulleys dues to all that cooland getting everywhere, but as you say its coming from the rear. Maybe someone else will be able to help.

Edited by ducatiss

Check for split vacuum hoses or blown intake manifold gasket, is the idle still smooth? as air leads can make funny sounds and usually cause a rough idle.