Sign in to follow this  
ducatiss

Insurance Companies

I'd disagree, you would be worth getting 3rd party and getting an insurance rating.

It's just like credit, if you actually never borrow any money, you'll never get a credit rating.

3rd party will also put the responsibility back on you. You'll drive safer (hopefully) as you'll lose your car if it's your fault.

Basically its not worth me insuring a car lol. Out of the 3 places AA were the friendliest n most professional. The State feller was a git, and the ami chick was friendly but a tad ditsy.

State your car is 2498CC, secondly try your parents insurance company, with the car under their policy, you as the main driver etc.

I've done the above with tower, had no issues whatsoever.

Also, if you only have a learners, you need a full-licenced driver with you, so you might as well put the vehcile under your parents name with you as a designated driver? Be hard for them to turn you down that way [as it would be your parents], and you should have a reduced excess/premium.

State your car is 2498CC, secondly try your parents insurance company, with the car under their policy, you as the main driver etc.

I've done the above with tower, had no issues whatsoever.

Also, if you only have a learners, you need a full-licenced driver with you, so you might as well put the vehcile under your parents name with you as a designated driver? Be hard for them to turn you down that way [as it would be your parents], and you should have a reduced excess/premium.

Olds say no way as if I crash their clean record will be tarnishe, loose the no claims B etc. I'll go nag some more :P

Good to see your parents aren't going to take responsibility for your actions.

Man up, get 3rd party and drive safely.

Olds say no way as if I crash their clean record will be tarnishe, loose the no claims B etc. I'll go nag some more :P

Play the guilt trip with them. Not to mention, you should be responsible when driving with them so they will trust you.

I just rang around a few places with regards to 3rd party on a 1990 325i worth $3500. I'm 16 and on a learners, car parked on street in friendly area. AA wouldn't insure it, ami wouldn't insure it, state wouldn't insure it. All because they dont insure engines with a 2500cc rating or more for youngans.

I then made up I had a 1987 320i with 175,000ks worth $3000. Again neither ami or state would cover me, however AA was helpful.

they offered a $356 per year premium (3rd party, no fire&theft). The excess was a whopping $1300.

Basically its not worth me insuring a car lol. Out of the 3 places AA were the friendliest n most professional. The State feller was a git, and the ami chick was friendly but a tad ditsy.

This is what happened when I tryed to get my insurance. I'm 15 and when I wanted to get my E30 325 insured, it would have been 1300 a year under my name for only third party. So I put it under my parents name with me just being one of the main drivers. I got full insurance for 376 a year. My excess is a 1000.

Im only doing putting it under their name for a year or so until I can afford to do it myself.

Good to see your parents aren't going to take responsibility for your actions.

Man up, get 3rd party and drive safely.

The f**k is your issue bud? I suppose you think I'm a hoodie and gangster hat wearing hoon who believes the "baddest" thing you can do to a car is bag it on 20's with a 6" wide exhaust? Wrong.

Edited by tire

This is what happened when I tryed to get my insurance. I'm 15 and when I wanted to get my E30 325 insured, it would have been 1300 a year under my name for only third party. So I put it under my parents name with me just being one of the main drivers. I got full insurance for 376 a year. My excess is a 1000.

Im only doing putting it under their name for a year or so until I can afford to do it myself.

Who was charging you that?

You would get declined on a claim if they found out you were the main driver.

Who was charging you that?

You sure that would work??

Not trying to kill ther party but as far as I was aware (and I work in insurance) the vehicle had to be insured by the 'legal owner' of the vehicle. If you are a joint owner then thats ok.. but it's something i'd check out b4 doing mate! :) Sure they might do a discount if your parents have insurances but I'm pretty sure the car would have to go into YOUR name.

If yo do call them to check, let me know how you get on (just don't want you to have a cliam and be declined any cover for non-disclosure of ownership of the vehicle etc etc).

Laurence.

Edited by Old_Skool_Bmw

You would get declined on a claim if they found out you were the main driver.

Yep, that's why you should get your parents to drive in to work, supermarket etc once in a while.

Im 17 with a full license and full cover from tower on my auto 325i wouldve been $150 a month ($1800 a year). So im just on 3rd party fire and theft. My manual one was alot cheaper but im guessing since it was stolen the premiums have been bumped up. Will I get a better deal somewhere else?

Suppose I should review them for everyone elses benefit on choosing a company. Its been 1 and a half months since we made the claim and just got the comfirmation back today but that was including house contents and two other cars at the same time (were away on holiday). They chose to write my car off because of a burnt out clutch plate and some minor bumper damage. I cant say I really wanted it back though. I thought they were pretty average and couldve done a few things better. The staff spend half their week on customer support and then the other half managing peoples claims so progress can be pretty slow at times.

Edited by Brennan

You sure that would work??

Not trying to kill ther party but as far as I was aware (and I work in insurance) the vehicle had to be insured by the 'legal owner' of the vehicle. If you are a joint owner then thats ok.. but it's something i'd check out b4 doing mate! :) Sure they might do a discount if your parents have insurances but I'm pretty sure the car would have to go into YOUR name.

If yo do call them to check, let me know how you get on (just don't want you to have a cliam and be declined any cover for non-disclosure of ownership of the vehicle etc etc).

Laurence.

Thanks for the reply Laurence. The car is registered under my name, but my parents own about a 1000 woth of it. How would I prove to the insurance companies that it is joint owned if I was to make a claim.

May have to give them a ring and clear things up.

Cheers,

Nick

Im 17 with a full license and full cover from tower on my auto 325i wouldve been $150 a month ($1800 a year). So im just on 3rd party fire and theft. My manual one was alot cheaper but im guessing since it was stolen the premiums have been bumped up. Will I get a better deal somewhere else?

Suppose I should review them for everyone elses benefit on choosing a company. Its been 1 and a half months since we made the claim and just got the comfirmation back today but that was including house contents and two other cars at the same time (were away on holiday). They chose to write my car off because of a burnt out clutch plate and some minor bumper damage. I cant say I really wanted it back though. I thought they were pretty average and couldve done a few things better. The staff spend half their week on customer support and then the other half managing peoples claims so progress can be pretty slow at times.

Which company?

Thanks for the reply Laurence. The car is registered under my name, but my parents own about a 1000 woth of it. How would I prove to the insurance companies that it is joint owned if I was to make a claim.

May have to give them a ring and clear things up.

Cheers,

Nick

If in doubt i'd say change it on the ownership papers!..

That way all you have to do is provide them with a copy of the ownership documents showing that you are a joint owner along with either/both of your parents.

Laurence.