Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

Removing Glass

I need to remove my windscreen and my 2 rear quarter windows for my roll cage fabricator, and replace them afterwards.

Is anyone an auto glazier? or does anyone know one that will help me out for some beers?

as a last resort, can anyone recommend how to safely remove and replace them myself?

FYI - the rear quarter windows are fixed (glzed in) not the opening type.

Cheers, Ollie

sides are easy as is the rear. You just pull the corner up on the inside of the car and slowly work the rubber away. Get someone on the out side of the car to catch the window in case it falls. Gently push the glass outward from the inside as you ease the rubber. This works for back and side. The front one is done the same but as it is laminated glass you run the risk of it breaking. Especially if there are stone chips in it. It doesn't matter how careful you are it will breal. Get a glass person to remove the front but the rest are simple. Putting back in involves using some string and pulling the window rubber back into place from the inside.

I removed my front and back first time ever within 5mins total and one flat head driver and just meself.

I can give you a hand for the front this weekend when I'm over?

I removed my front and back first time ever within 5mins total and one flat head driver and just meself.

I can give you a hand for the front this weekend when I'm over?

sounds like a plan

I use Silicone spray around all the edges to make the glass slip over the rubber. Easy as takes no time to get the out. <_<

crack them with a hammer get insurance to replace, sweet talk the glazier to hold off after he has them out. Most glass guys will do it as they are happy to be doing insurance work.

Bet this car isn't insured yet, eh Ollie. Love the wheels :rolleyes:

ps. I've managed to break 1 so far, be careful, I did 3 and had no problems, then got a bit cocky, and next thing, ping, found a small chip where it had started. Worst is putting the insert back in the rubber.

Edited by Silver Fox

stop being a poof and let me do it with a hammer

stop being a poof and let me do it with a hammer

Jees Gus, thought you had got all sophisticated and got rid of the hammer and got yourself a torque wrench???

Hey Will, don't you mean a talk wench?

Hey Will, don't you mean a talk wench?

yea, he's full of that too.. :lol: