Sign in to follow this  
entscheidend

Multi Function steering wheel for E36

to apply a multi function steering wheel from a E39 to a E36?

Is it possible? If I get the wiring right will the E39 wheel be compatible with the OE CD stacker / climate control / lights etc?

Has someone done it or know someone who can, i have searched bimmerforums as wheel but there looking too.

good idea, do it anyway, as long as it fits, make your own loom etc and connect to appropriate places, could get tricky doing the stacker but would be easy as doing like simple stuff, just get a multi meter and work out what happens when buttons are pushed!

good idea, do it anyway, as long as it fits, make your own loom etc and connect to appropriate places, could get tricky doing the stacker but would be easy as doing like simple stuff, just get a multi meter and work out what happens when buttons are pushed!

Im wondering about the clusters and connections, also maybe a tap into the module boxes behind the glove box? Not sure of how a E39 is set up.

I successfully converted my 11 button OBC to a 18 in the 323i, all functions work including Range, consumption, distance and sercret functions. Worth a try guys if your into gadgets

Definitely worth a try ! If you can do the OBC then go for it

Try PM'ing "Jochen" on here. Hes got tonnes of experience with nav and steering wheel stuff. Hed be willing to steer you in the right direction I think.

Failing that you could go and chat to a BMW mech, they should be able to help!

Im wondering about the clusters and connections, also maybe a tap into the module boxes behind the glove box? Not sure of how a E39 is set up.

I successfully converted my 11 button OBC to a 18 in the 323i, all functions work including Range, consumption, distance and sercret functions. Worth a try guys if your into gadgets

What are the "secret functions"??

yes, im curious also about these 'secret functions' is it a james bond ejector seat??? id bee keen to give that kinda stuff a try.

to apply a multi function steering wheel from a E39 to a E36?

Is it possible? If I get the wiring right will the E39 wheel be compatible with the OE CD stacker / climate control / lights etc?

Has someone done it or know someone who can, i have searched bimmerforums as wheel but there looking too.

The E39 MFL integrates with the vehicle via the i-bus databus.

When you press a button on the wheel, the MFL control unit sends a command down the databus representing which button was pressed.

So you need to fit the wheel to a car with the ibus present - which the E36 has only in very limited form.

How much functionality you would get depends on whether your existing E36 radio is one with ibus remote control capability - some later models had this.

Otherwise, you could make your own interface adapter with a PIC (programmable IC) if you are happy coding software and working with micro-controllers..... a few people in europe do this to add enhanced ibus functionality.

Not necessarily an easy project....

I agree with Jochen. The bus system would be different, in fact in some early E36s it wasn't even there. You can find more about bus systems in BMWs on www.mp3car.com. Go to the forums.

Good luck, if you do succeed, I'm sure many of us want to see the end result!

Thanks Yuen & Jochen ... i think I might give this one a miss, i think because I managed to convert my OBC I thought I could tackle that one...too technical