Sign in to follow this  
dc2r

E30 320i maintenence

hey I just purchased a 1988 E30 320i 170,000kms wof and rego, pretty good condition, has typical e30 minor cracks in dash and worn drivers seat.

Just a few questions though, I want to do a full service on it, ie oil, oil filter, transmission fluid and coolant.

Wanting to know best grade of oil to use for 320's, and for the transmission.

and if anyone has a link, or can tell me how to go about draining the fluid in an AT transmission. (have only owned manuals)

Also whilst driving last night i noticed the odometer stopped ticking over, are the e30s cable operated speedos? speedo and tacho works fine, Anyknow know what it would be an easiest way to fix and diagniose.

Cheers

Best oil - really any quality oil ok - 10-40 rating or so, Castrol Protec or Magnetic or similar rating other brands.

If unknown when last done, best to flush coolant & replace inhibitor - making sure to use a quality one.

Auto trans - would suggest getting professionally done so that any required adjustments can be done at the same time.

Odometer - They are known to fail within the tumbler gear mechanism. Speedo is electronically driven from a transducer in the diff.

Need to dismantle cluster to confirm if repairable - either fix or replace cluster

the odometer is fused! check them i cant remember what circuit it is..

the odometer is fused! check them i cant remember what circuit it is..

So theres a fuse for the odometer??

if anyone knows which one it is it would be much appreciated!!

just been thinking, if your speedo is working then it ma be more than just a fuse, when mine blew, the speedo didnt work either.

The fuse in question I believe covers alot of electrical things, incl reverse lights, instrument cluster etc etc. I dont think it could isolate it, and more just a genuine fault.

Edited by E30stz

As I said earlier - it is an internal fault within odometer, if the rest of the dash works then it is definitely NOT a fuse. As Andy has said - there are also other circuits on the same fuse as instruments

I had the same thing happen yesterday(odometer stop) adn i want to ask the same question, how do you fix it? I havent done any driving since, (dont want to make the kms inacurate).

Cool planning n doing a service sometime this week, and ill get my auto sparky mate to pull the dash out and check whats wrong with it..

Ive notice in the morning the tappets are a little noisy, the misti boys seem to swear on this stuff called PRO-MA MBl8.. im thinking of putting some of that in to quietn them down.

Cool planning n doing a service sometime this week, and ill get my auto sparky mate to pull the dash out and check whats wrong with it..

Ive notice in the morning the tappets are a little noisy, the misti boys seem to swear on this stuff called PRO-MA MBl8.. im thinking of putting some of that in to quietn them down.

No - leave the additives to the japas. The e30 doesnt need them. All e30's are a bit tappety. I'd try adjusting them all to spec first.

No - leave the additives to the japas. The e30 doesnt need them. All e30's are a bit tappety. I'd try adjusting them all to spec first.

Sweet as, any idea how easy this is to do? anyone in wellington be able to do ti for me?

i'm having something similar with my speedometer, its ok some of the time then it will just die or spring up or down if i put my foot down too hard

anyone know of how to cure this?

thanks Nat

tapets arnt the easyst thing in the world to do requres a lot of burning your hands and swearing at the car. im sure i could do it with you sumtime for like 40 bux or something.