Sign in to follow this  
rowanhol

abs light coming on and car jerking??

Hey guys im having a really pesky issue with my car, it hapens randomly about once a month and generally only lasts a second or two but the other day it became worse.

the abs warning light comes on and the car seems to slow down by itself as if its gently pulling the brakes on or the engine is dying..it some times flashes on and the car jerks as if you were jabing the brake pedal but last week the light stayed on for about 5 seconds and slowed me down then went back to normal.

hmmm, pads and discs seem fine. thinking sensors.. whats the procedure for checking these? any other sugetstions?

cheers

Hey guys im having a really pesky issue with my car, it hapens randomly about once a month and generally only lasts a second or two but the other day it became worse.

the abs warning light comes on and the car seems to slow down by itself as if its gently pulling the brakes on or the engine is dying..it some times flashes on and the car jerks as if you were jabing the brake pedal but last week the light stayed on for about 5 seconds and slowed me down then went back to normal.

hmmm, pads and discs seem fine. thinking sensors.. whats the procedure for checking these? any other sugetstions?

cheers

Sell it?

Sell it?

having rooties in the front seat arnt ya lol

To me there is something about ABS/Airbag/Gearbox lights coming on that suggests SELL SELL SELL

To me there is something about ABS/Airbag/Gearbox lights coming on that suggests SELL SELL SELL

Its manual though, I'd give my right testicle for a manual.

I had someone do that to me once, after I sign the AIWI agreement he goes 'oh the fuel gauge is broken, so here is a free fuel can', yeah the free gas can makes that all better, he even lied about how much gas was in the tank. Week later the tranny blew, still goes hard as in reverse though as long as you top up the ATF every few meters.

Sorry I can't help with the ABS problem. If you can find an old 520i or something for cheap you'd be able to move bits over. Certainly worth it for a 535i manual. I find it unusual that it's applying the brakes though, I thought that ABS would do the opposite? Puzzled.

hmmm definately not selling. and i'm not 100% sure if its brakes being applied by themselves or engine cutting out..dont see why it would cut the engine though. very odd.

could it be something like a pad or piston jamming then telling the abs system that something is wrong, hence the light appearing? doesnt really explain the jerking though.

cheers

Doubt it being a sensor, would suspect a hydralic problem. Diagnosis of the system not really DIY if not conversent with ABS. Would suggest seeing an auto sparky or mechanic with a scanner to plug up to it & confirm a fault code. A 5 min job which takes out all the guess work.

well it did it again, this time i put the clutch in and the engine was dead.. pulled over and started it up again and its running mint....until next time.would like to know why the engine is randomly cutting out, best to take it to bmw sometime before i get caught out with a dead car on the side of the road :unsure:

Again get someone with a scanner to talk to it - may well give the answer. Doesnt need to be BMW specific - most sparkys/ mechanics should have a scanner to connect to it