Sign in to follow this  
SpidersWeb

Tranny Swap

Moving up north in 4 weeks so I have to get the 535i moving again, have a spare auto here that I was going to chuck in it. But since we're moving money is on the tighter side.

Now I thought, well if it cost me $600 in labour to have my old Mitsubishi converted from auto to manual, then simply swapping a dead auto with a good auto would be ..... what? ... all of $200? I mean jesus christ no modifications, just a seal and some fluid.

Two companies, claiming it takes 8 hours.

If I had a hoist I could do it in less time and I'm retarded.

I know some of you guys could probably do this blindfolded, so if anyone can recommend somebody in the Upper Hutt area or if you want to earn a couple of hundy cash, please let me know. Its a direct swap, 4HP22 for 4HP22 in an E34 535i (M30).

Also interested in opinnions on the $450/480 + expenses. Seems like BS to me.

Just realised the big difference here is that the engine is hard against the firewall, so getting to the transmission mount bolts would be an ass. This would explain the 8 hours.

Does the whole engine have to be dropped?

id do it if i were closer!

even dropping the engine a wee bit is not that hard...maybe its harder as its an auto and has the cooling lines?

thats rubbish .

i can take a trans out of one of those in about 1 to 1.5hrs , thats incl the time to jack it up onto some axles stands etc .

find a place that charges about 3hrs to do a clutch and thats about the same time to do a trannie swap .

i would say no more than about 4hrs if they are any good .

i only use hand tools and have to work on my back .

Cheers for that. I'll continue the hunt for a decent price.

Annoyed because its only a temporary fix before I sort out a manual box for it, and I'm not keen on towing it 650km :unsure: Oh well.

Offer still stands to anyone who wants to have a crack at it, beer and money provided.

you could give Clive a ring at Miro Auto Services. 528 5873. Tell him Clamp sent you in and he may just sort you out. He is busy so you would have to arange a time.

Sweet, Miro were too busy when I called but I'll try again :)

Has to be done sometime in the next 3 weeks. I'm also waiting to hear back from my finance company, who will hopefully help me out in buying a manual M535i as I've spotted one for sale that I like :) Find out Monday. Once thats done I'll sell off the auto.

Excited about the M535i, so fingers crossed.

Edited by SpidersWeb

Am towing the 535 to Miro tomorrow morning. Will cost around 500 but thats all up, and they have done another one recently, plus they made the effort to actually call me, so all good. Going to be hillarious since the Mrs has never towed or been towed, can't wait

If all goes to plan it should be ready to go by the end of the week. Also on Friday I'll hopefully be picking up a BMW 535i manual with LSD, which will be a lot nicer, hopefully sell the old 535i for $3000, and MX5 for around 4K, should cover the costs nicely and leave a few $ for the wedding :rolleyes: (oh joy)

Moral of the story for me was that it was cheaper to buy a 535i 5 speed, than to convert my current POS, and by POS I mean 'fantastic car with low kms at a low low price'. I bought it a new battery yesterday, and the fuel gauage works now, yey me.

On another note, what is with this 'Posts in this topic' thing down below? Feels like I'm in some kind of 1985 Bulletin Board and my clicking finger is getting angry. I sincerely hope that it's temporary.