Sign in to follow this  
chompa

e30m3

hi guys just wanted to see if anyone had heard a any more regarding the law change coming up in terms of rego'n a left hook e30 m3? spoke to jerry hodges and he sed something about it? would like more details as i have just bought one and want to get it on the road asap....and would prefer not to put a cage in it at this stage...

thanks!

Sounds like what I was just reading about in the Motorsport NZ newletter that came out last week.

Basically LTSA seem to have been sweet-talked into letting left-hook and other non-complying (because of frontal impact) cars drive on the road under an extended set of rules, similar to an Authority Card (which race cars need for cage/belts/seats/lexan windows/brake bias/hydraulic handbrake).

It sounded quite onerous (Authority Card is bad enough):

- have had MSNZ licence for 2 years

- WOF standard (fair enough)

- must be a race car, which needs Authority Card (ie cage and logbook etc)

- only driven to and from events, and during events (eg tarmac rallies) on the road. Oh yeah, and to the mechanic etc

At least that's what I remember. Hang on, just looked in the bin and found it. Since I can't find it online, I'll rangi-scan it and post:

56k die - its nearly 1MB

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by CamB

Guest Denny Crane

That hardly seems like an arm twist. More of a way to being in racecars for targa.

so there is no way of getting round the law without putting a roll cage in? i hear there is a law change due in a few months, already passed the public submissions stage.

anyone have contact details for jerry hodges?

chur.

post-1937-1177920548.jpg

Look under contacts on the site,

www.bmwclub.org.nz

It's the new "Unique Collectable List" ... this was due for submission back in February ... so I guess they might have now collated a full list ... I posted this on NZhondas back a while ago to see if there were any interests in putting in a submission for the NSX variant cars to be included in this list ...

The LTSA is doing an amendment on frontal impact rules next year and are currently seeking submission on the issue. It is suppose to amalgamate some of the old "classic car" rules for vehicles over 20 years. i.e. they are doing away with the whole 20 year rule and implementing a new "Unique Collectable Vehicle" list. This will allow those cars which don't otherwise meet frontal impact standards to be made compliable (if I've read the rules correctly)

Link here:

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/media/2006/061214.html

The new proposed section states:

(f) a vehicle of Class MA or Class MC that is recognised by the Director, or by an organisation appointed by the Director under 4.6(5), as being a unique collectable vehicle appropriate for certification for entry into service in New Zealand.â€

In order for a vehicle to be considered as unique collectable vehicle:

"4.2 Schedule 2, Conditions for a person intending to have a vehicle recognised as a unique collectable vehicle

1. The applicant must prove that he or she is a New Zealand citizen or New Zealand resident, or is legally entitled to take up permanent residence in New Zealand.

2. The applicant must demonstrate to the Director or to an organisation appointed by the Director that the vehicle is appropriate for consideration as a[sic] unique collectable vehicle."

As you can see there's no definition for it as such - it's all a bit of a subjective analysis.

I know that some of the guys in the BMW clubs are putting forward cars like the classic M5, M6 and M3s for consideration as unique collectable vehicle under a submission to the proposed amendments i.e. asking the director to put up a list of Unique Collectable Vehicle ....

I am of the opinion that given the status that the NSX is to the Honda community that perhaps it might be fitting for us as a group to put forward a collective submission on maybe making the NSX, NSX Type S, Type S Zero, NSX Type R, or one of those models as a unique collectable vehicle???

Anyway, submission info here:

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/consultat...t/sub-info.html

Edited by M3_Power

Found some more info on it ... seems like they have made a list as to what qualifies as a "Uniquely Collectable" - My understanding was the E30 M3 was put forward to be put into this list ... not sure whether it was accepted or not ...

6. What’s changing for unique collectable vehicles?

There are a relatively small number of vehicles that have intrinsic value because of their unique, collectable nature. These vehicles are typically in a niche market, may have been manufactured in very small numbers and are not required to comply with an approved frontal impact standard. Other vehicles may have a strong connection to a historical event or personality, and this fact or some other unique, special circumstance or feature makes them highly desirable for collectors. They are highly valued by their owners and typically add to the historic nature of the fleet.

Some of these vehicles currently enter under the age-based ‘20-year’ provision in the existing Frontal Impact Rule, but others do not qualify under this provision. It was not the intention of the Frontal Impact Rule to prevent unique collectable vehicles that do not meet a frontal impact standard from entering the fleet, whether or not they are more than 20 years old.

It is proposed that unique collectable vehicles be allowed to enter New Zealand subject to the conditions set out in the Rule. This would ensure their eligibility to enter New Zealand and to be registered for use on our roads.

7. Who will decide if a vehicle is a ‘unique collectable’ vehicle?

It is proposed that the Director would appoint a panel of recognized vehicle experts to compile and publish a register of vehicles recognised as unique and collectable. The register would be updated as needed.

11. What about left-hand drive vehicles?

Left-hand drive vehicles will remain subject to the requirements of Land Transport Rule: Steering Systems 2001 (the Steering Systems Rule). However, some may be classified as unique collectable vehicles and may be eligible for entry certification, subject to the terms and conditions of the Steering Systems Rule.

12. Will the proposed changes result in New Zealand being flooded with older, unsafe vehicles?

No, entry of these vehicles will be subject to very strict conditions and limited to bona-fide cases. Each importer will have to prove they meet these criteria, such as the time they have lived overseas or that the vehicle is unique and collectable or for motorsport, and sign a declaration that they are importing the car for their own use and will not on sell the vehicle for at least a year.

As each vehicle requires a permit or authority card, Land Transport New Zealand will be able to monitor the numbers of vehicles entering NZ and those importing

I know this is a one off submission thing... but is there going to be a review each year for vehicles that are starting to reach their "age" I wouldnt say a m325i is a collectible yet .. but I would thing it would be soon enough.

This is great news however ! :)

One would think things like the e34 m5 would be able to put on this list etc etc.. ?

hey man cheers for the wiked info, do we have any idea, if successful, on when this will come into effect? i wana get my m3 on the road asap!