Sign in to follow this  
StylesM5

Battery not charging

Discovered over the weekend that the battery is not charging. Battery should be OK as only 6 months old.

Anyone got any quick fix ideas before I make a comment on the auction or go to the trouble of going to the auto sparky which I haven't really got time to do.

Cheers, Jock

Alternator.. get a multi meter if you have one and measure its output??

Jock, is the battery not holding charge? or is it not charging?

Take the battery out and charge it on a bench with a DECENT rectifier for 24 hours.

Open cell string voltage should be at least 13.2VDC.

6 months old, doesn't mean you haven't killed it through neglect. Has it been used daily for 6 months, or just sitting in the garage self-discharging for this period of time?

Car batteries are poorly designed (compared to a high quality AGM) have have a expected life of 3-5 years in perfect conditions.

Thanks Guys

Voltage was measured at the battery terminals with a multimeter yesterday with the car running and revved up at only 11.6v. Charged half of yesterday and overnight and now measuring 12.6v. Will start up tonight and see if there is any difference.

The car has had only occasional runs about every 2 weeks, although these were all in excess of 1/2 and hour so battery should have had a good charge in that time.

I suspect there is an issue with the alternator unless there is a simple thing like a fuse or diode or thing-a-me-jig that someone knows of that might have gone west.

What's an AGM Cain (other than an Annual General Meeting)?

Cheers, Jock

Edited by StylesM5

Thanks Guys

Voltage was measured at the battery terminals with a multimeter yesterday with the car running and revved up at only 11.6v. Charged half of yesterday and overnight and now measuring 12.6v. Will start up tonight and see if there is any difference.

The car has had only occasional runs about every 2 weeks, although these were all in excess of 1/2 and hour so battery should have had a good charge in that time.

I suspect there is an issue with the alternator unless there is a simple thing like a fuse or diode or thing-a-me-jig that someone knows of that might have gone west.

What's an AGM Cain (other than an Annual General Meeting)?

Cheers, Jock

It should be about 14 Volts + or - .5 Volts when the engine is running, anything under is normally a diode fault in the alternator.....hope you didnt spike it when you jump started it

It should be about 14 Volts + or - .5 Volts when the engine is running, anything under is normally a diode fault in the alternator.....hope you didnt spike it when you jump started it

Thanks

Will get it checked out. Haven't actually jumped it, had just enough voltage to start it. Well aware of that issue when jumping a car though. Used to have a set of leads with spike suppressor in them, till someone "borrowed" them. Must get another set.

AGM, absorbed glass mat

A type of VRLA, valve regulated lead-acid battery.

Yes, I would expect about 14.1V from your alternator. Being 2.35V per cell. Another reason that car batteries don't last.

AGM, absorbed glass mat

A type of VRLA, valve regulated lead-acid battery.

Yes, I would expect about 14.1V from your alternator. Being 2.35V per cell. Another reason that car batteries don't last.

I bow down to thee of all good knowledge and many acronyms. :D Thanks Cain. Alternator into autosparky today.

Fixed, alternator was "open circuit" (what ever that means, I figure it was f**ked). $185 + to repair. Happy just to get it done. North Harbour Auto and Marine Electrical, 7 Barrys Point Rd.