Sign in to follow this  
Gangee

Charging a BMW battery

I have a flat battery in my car e28 525 that has been slowly getting fixed since lastyear when some low life stole it and wrecked most of it.

Now it is almost ready for a WOF however the battery is flat, my question is Can it be charger or do i need to buy a new one?

if not where would i find another one do they have to come from BMW? i am in the wellington area at the moment

Thanks

Sean aka Gangee

e28 525e

e34 535i

You dont need a specific BMW battery.....just a Euro style ( for mounting )....should be a Din55 or Din65

I have got a 1990 535,I went to a auto electrician in Waione st petone.Overall the service was sh*t but ended up getting good service from the guy who finally came out to see me.I got a Hella battery,which was identical to the BMW branded battery that was in there.If it mounts under the seat or in the boot make sure you get the proper venting kit as well.See if you can charge your old one (and top up the water) it first.I have a battery charger you can borrow.

There is no definitive answer to that question.

If it has electrolyte in it, remove the battery and charge it for 48 hours, test the open cell voltage. It should be 13.2VDC minimum. Closer to 14VDC in reality.

Fit it to the car, crank it over and see if it actually has capacity or whether a surface charge is present only.

Drive car a reasonable distance and see if it starts in the morning.

If it does, you're in luck.

There is no definitive answer to that question.

If it has electrolyte in it, remove the battery and charge it for 48 hours, test the open cell voltage. It should be 13.2VDC minimum. Closer to 14VDC in reality.

Fit it to the car, crank it over and see if it actually has capacity or whether a surface charge is present only.

Drive car a reasonable distance and see if it starts in the morning.

If it does, you're in luck.

Id love to drive it for a large distance however i need a WOF to get new plates cause the tosser stole them aswell, and its alot harder to get a WOF when the car doesnt start without the jump pack.

Thanks for the info

Sean