Sign in to follow this  
ozzy

e36 320 auto box problems

hey guys

im having some problems with my auto box

whats happening is when im driving along and it goes to change up a gear, ithe revs rise quickly and nothing happens, sounds like a slipping clutch on a manual, but then when it finally does get a gear its real rough, or often when taking off from lights it just wont change as it should and will rev right out with foot on maybe a quarter throttle..

to me sounds like its f**ked but just wondering what my options are

could this be a easy fix, with maybe the electronics?

is it totally screwed and needs to be rebuilt

and does any one know any goods places that can take a look for me in chch, that will charge less than bmw will??

I have the exact same problem on my e36 323 -

What year is yours? Mine does it on the 2nd to 3rd change - the 1st to 2nd change is really rough when cold also.

I hear it may be an electronic problem.

previous owner of mine (93 320i) replaced the auto box before I bought it....maybe a common problem?

they said it cost them major bucks to fix it.... :(

hope you can fix it without haveing to relpace!

hey guys

im having some problems with my auto box

whats happening is when im driving along and it goes to change up a gear, ithe revs rise quickly and nothing happens, sounds like a slipping clutch on a manual, but then when it finally does get a gear its real rough, or often when taking off from lights it just wont change as it should and will rev right out with foot on maybe a quarter throttle..

to me sounds like its f**ked but just wondering what my options are

could this be a easy fix, with maybe the electronics?

is it totally screwed and needs to be rebuilt

and does any one know any goods places that can take a look for me in chch, that will charge less than bmw will??

Sounds exactly like my old problem!

See my thread http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....mp;#entry115372

I took it to Aceoautomatics in Christchurch and they charged me $90 to reset the auto computer.

After that I took it out for a bloody good thrash and it was away laughing.

Now its as smooth as when it came out of the factory :D

Sounds exactly like my old problem!

See my thread http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....mp;#entry115372

I took it to Aceoautomatics in Christchurch and they charged me $90 to reset the auto computer.

After that I took it out for a bloody good thrash and it was away laughing.

Now its as smooth as when it came out of the factory :D

Sounds about right! I wonder if there are places in Auckland that can do that, other than the dealer?

I read in the BMW TIS that the Jatco gearboxes had the jerky 1st-2nd shifts due to something in the software. The dealer is supposed to be able to fix it by flashing the software... but I didn't even bother because I thought it would cost me an arm and a leg. Interestingly, why does it get worse over time? I thought a software related problem would be consistent.

Sounds about right! I wonder if there are places in Auckland that can do that, other than the dealer?

I read in the BMW TIS that the Jatco gearboxes had the jerky 1st-2nd shifts due to something in the software. The dealer is supposed to be able to fix it by flashing the software... but I didn't even bother because I thought it would cost me an arm and a leg. Interestingly, why does it get worse over time? I thought a software related problem would be consistent.

Apparently on the newer e36 like mine, the Jatco computer tries to be all tricky like and remember your driving style.

So if you drive like a granny, it will "learn" this and next time you slow down to a stop, it will stay in second gear.

Apparently, sometimes this "learning" bullshit goes a bit haywire.

My problem was exactly as ozzy described, feels a lot like the gearbox is confused about 1st and 2nd. There was even a short period where if I put the pedal to the metal, it would go past the usual rev limit, scared me a bit.

I hadn't heard about this software flashing stuff, doubt it would be worth it. People have just come to accept that auto e36's have a rough 1st - 2nd when cold. Its a fairly minor flaw, unless you happen to be one of those sad buggers who commutes through Auckland everyday.

I'm one of those sad buggers who commutes and its a PITA - I will take it to a dealer and see if they can sort it.

I'm one of those sad buggers who commutes and its a PITA - I will take it to a dealer and see if they can sort it.

Let us know how it goes with the dealer Andrew.

thanks for the help, mine is an older 92 model but ill take it into aceomatic and see of they know what the go is