Sign in to follow this  
will

GPS units

As I probably can't fit a BMW GPS to my e30, was thinking of getting one of these stand-alone units. Anyone tried them or have any comments as to how good, or not, they might be??

Trademe link to what seems to be a reasonable unit..GPS

My shop is a Navman reseller and I personally use them for out-of-town trips. You are welcome to PM me if you want more info.

I've used a number of them in the UK since they started to appear about 10 years ago. Most don't have NZ mapping however so your choice is more limited and for our trip to the north island a few months ago I bought a used Navman iCN650 from eBay in the UK and got the NZ maps from Navman for it.

I have to say it is a quality unit if not the smallest available. The screen is very clear, the speaker is plenty loud enough and it didn't take a wrong turn the whole time (it did get me in the wrong lane somewhere in Belgium on the way back from the Nurburgring at Easter though). It even has a small remote control.

Not something that will possibly bother most of you, but I got off the ferry in France and set it to take me to the hotel in Germany. The other units that my mates had couldn't cope with a German address while they were in France and they had to break the journey into a leg each for France, Belgium, Holland and Germany. In actual fact what the did was follow me :rolleyes:

TomTom is the biggest seller here and it's OK and quite cheap these days, but it did fall over on the France / Belgium / Holland / Germany thing because it doesn't have enough memory to keep Europe in as one map so you have to switch them at the borders.

My store is a uniden and navman stockest, if you need a hook up just give me a pm.

Riley