Sign in to follow this  
duggybuggy

e34 front shakes.....

what the hell is wrong here? i get rather violent shakes through the steering wheel of my e34 525 [m20] when driving.... the wheel nuts are sweet, could it be a bearing?? ive just replaced the right front disc and that might be something to do with it?

jack front up look for play in bearings or spin the wheel and listen for bearing grind noises. if not check your tyres are balanced correctley. does it hapen when driving or braking?

jack front up look for play in bearings or spin the wheel and listen for bearing grind noises. if not check your tyres are balanced correctley. does it hapen when driving or braking?

i just got told its the bearings.

classic e 34 problem esp at about 90 KM/HR..control arm bushings,replace with 750iL or e 34M5.These cars very sensitive to wheel balance and wheels MUST be concentric.If you have after market wheels make sure you have a hubcentric ring to make sre the wheels are centred when they are put on.Most common aftermarket(or E39) wheels have 74.5 hub dia, mm but e 34 hub is 72,5mm

Edited by kiwi535

Also a classic E39 problem @ 70-80ks

Check:

1. front balance & alignment

2. front thrust arm bushes - may need replacing

3. front rotors warped?

4. bent rim?

5. all of the above

Process of elimination. Mine was 1, 2 & 3

Best to replace both rotors + pads, not just one side

Good luck

Mike

sigh... all this advice, and its all worthless. what you need, brother dearest, is to dump that oversized barge and get a 3series :P

I seriously thought of that if I couldn't get it sorted. Now that I have (sorted it) I'll never go back to a 3 series (owned a NZ new E30 320i for 12 years) unless its a E46 M3. There's so much more power and comfort in the 540.

Mike

sigh... all this advice, and its all worthless. what you need, brother dearest, is to dump that oversized barge and get a 3series :P

haha shut up bro, just cos you have vanos....

I seriously thought of that if I couldn't get it sorted. Now that I have (sorted it) I'll never go back to a 3 series (owned a NZ new E30 320i for 12 years) unless its a E46 M3. There's so much more power and comfort in the 540.

Mike

the 540i will get up and go, unlike an underpowered m20 like mine. how do i go about fitting an m30?

the 540i will get up and go, unlike an underpowered m20 like mine. how do i go about fitting an m30?

Don't bother repowering - just upgrade your car!