Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

diff and rack

i have a 3.46 diff in my 1985 320i i dont know if its a small or a med case diff. the diff is skrewd so im getting a new one. does anyone know a good diff to use as i am upgrading engine to a workd 325i i was hopefuly wanting a lsd do you guys know how much for one or if i could get a cheap one and switch over the crown and pinnion from a 3.73 open diff etc?

also i was wondering if you guys know if i can change my steering rack so i only turn the wheel about 1.5 turns from lock to lock?

Gidday depending on how worked your 2.5 is then a 3.91 diff is the one you will want if you are looking for faster acceleration, if you have pretty high Hp then you may want to drop to a 3.64 gives you a higher top speed and lowers the revs at 100kph, your gearbox ratios will also affect all this. As for a LSD you won't find one for under about $750 and then finding a ratio that you want will be difficult changing the crown and pinion is possible but setting it back up can take some expertise. A case of waiting for a while til one comes up and then having the cash to grab it.

As for the Steering rack you can fit a e36 rack M3 etc which has a better ratio and the z3 I think also fits all with some mods of course, can't recall the ratios but search the web there is heaps of info on this I also recall something about a sunbeam rack turned upside down - 1.5 turns from lock to lock on the roads you will find yourself upside down in no time.