Sign in to follow this  
ED1RTY

Diff 'scrolling' driveshaft 'clunking'

I have just finished doing a disc brake rear conversion on my 320i, did all the bushings with I.E Urethane and upgraded to a 3.64 medium case diff.

When i flushed the diff i replaced the oil with SAE 90 LSD Valvoline Oil. Is this to thin for Non LSD? Im getting a scrolling/groaning sound from the diff at low speed and the scrolling get faster and less noticable as i gain speed, also does it on hard cornering.

I have also got a 'clanking' noise when hard shifting down or changing reverse to drive or drive to reverse. It doesnt sound to good, everything is bolted up tight and i cant see any tell tale signs of where or why i am getting these noises. Its almost as if the driveshaft and diff flanges are 'clunking' together with the momentum of the car.

Ive read on R3vlimited that this noise is always there but you cant notice it without the urethane subframe bushing which transfer more of the 'driveline noises' to the body of the car. Is this right?? the noises dont sound good and when driving behind my car in the twisties it sounds like a bloody industrial machine shop!!!

Any ideas??

TIA

Chris

Edited by ED1RTY

has the diff been pulled apart? if so has it all been properly aligned when put back together. is lsd adjustable? might be adjusted to tight. and also check that your rear axels arnt on a hard angle because of the diff. if it is a cant imagen it would be to good for your cvs

I wish it was but it isn't an LSD.

True story about the CV's the reason I replaced everything was because I demolished one. :unsure:

Only the main gearset was removed from the diff, other than that it wasnt pulled apart. All put back together properly.

I wish it was but it isn't an LSD.

True story about the CV's the reason I replaced everything was because I demolished one. :unsure:

Only the main gearset was removed from the diff, other than that it wasnt pulled apart. All put back together properly.

Only big increase in NVH I noticed when I did the IE stuff was over things like cat-eyes. Driveline noise isn't too bad. Maybe swap the diff out and see if its that.

What else did you change/swap?

Only big increase in NVH I noticed when I did the IE stuff was over things like cat-eyes. Driveline noise isn't too bad. Maybe swap the diff out and see if its that.

What else did you change/swap?

The whole rear end.......

I'd like to refill the diff with SAE 130-140 and get the driveshaft balanced and put back in. Just sorta wanna know if it'll remedy my problem??

The correct oil is a full synthetic 75W90....LSD oil is fine in an open diff

As for the noise........it probably is the diff..... pinion bearings ???

Drive it on a hoist and listen with a stethiscope... check axle bearings too...the same way

As i dont have a hoist, or a stethescope, would you mind me bringin it in to Botany Motor Works and getting you to have a look at some stage?? Tomorrow good??