Sign in to follow this  
Matty

Transferring to NZ Licence

I'm from Aus and will be here in Auck for a year or two. Want to get my NZ driver's licence, which should be fairly straightforward: you don't need to do a driving test.

However you do need to do a written test, presumably on the local road rules. Can anyone tell me what sort of stuff is on the test and whether it's hard/easy or what?

cheers,

matt

You can get example questions easily. You can buy it or go to local library to borrow it.

Questions are reasonably easy and NZ road rules are very similar to AUS rules. I had a chance to see AUS driver's license written test paper and got all the questions right without doing any studies.

Good luck and have a great time in Auckland!

Edited by otagomed

I'm from Aus and will be here in Auck for a year or two. Want to get my NZ driver's licence, which should be fairly straightforward: you don't need to do a driving test.

However you do need to do a written test, presumably on the local road rules. Can anyone tell me what sort of stuff is on the test and whether it's hard/easy or what?

cheers,

matt

I had to do the same thing. I just took in all the id stuff, passport and a bank statement as proof of address and winged the test. Common sense stuff with one or two odd questions thrown in. Example: What is the maximum distance any item is allowed to overhang your trailer? I think your allowed to get three wrong out of 35-40 questions.

Its piss easy - have you seen the f**ktards in this country with a valid drivers license? Seriously though as been said, you can d/load the road code and sample questions off the LTSA website.

Hi,

You can drive on your Aus licience for 12 months before your required to get a NZ one. If you leave, say to return home for a holiday you get another 12 months apon your return. Only condition is that you aren't disqualified from driving in Aus.

refer fact sheet 56 LTSA

cheers Matt

Edited by MattA

That was going to be my suggestion too.

I lived in Oz for 4 years and lived off the, "oh, I'm here on business" (which wasn't untrue) as I came home every couple of months at least. I just started counting from there again.

I never owned a car and was always driving a company car or rental. Harder to do, in a car registered in your own name. Kind of points to permanence.

Hold off as long as possible, unless you need it for insurance purposes.

Hi,

You can drive on your Aus licience for 12 months before your required to get a NZ one. If you leave, say to return home for a holiday you get another 12 months apon your return. Only condition is that you aren't disqualified from driving in Aus.

refer fact sheet 56 LTSA

cheers Matt

I'm aware of that, but it has an effect on things like insurance excess...

Honestly Matty its not worth the hassle buggering about with 12 months here and a couple of weeks there.

The theory test is so bloody easy its not funny, so once your sorted over here take the test and be done with it.

I was pulled up a few weeks ago speeding and the police took me by total surprise when they essentially banned me from driving on NZ roads until I obtained an NZ licence. I was born here but have never had nor attempted to obtain a licence here as I moved to Oz before I could legally obtain any licence. I returned on holidays many times before returning semi permanently just under a year ago. Now, obviously I checked the rules before moving here and also saw that one can legally drive on any overseas licence that is current for a period not exceeding 12 months from ones last entry into NZ. So I knew that I was ok to drive until 12 months were up. That was until the Police had other ideas after contacting Immigration (at 5.30am mind you!) and told me I had been in the country since 1994! So on went the argument with me saying I had not been in NZ for 12 months continuously and him saying I had been here since 1994. So he still ordered me off the road assuming I had been unlicensed since 1994 but somehow didn't issue me with the applicable $400 fine (even though as I say that they think I had been in NZ since 1994 and unlicensed for 13 odd years!) just the record on the database of "forbidden to drive until NZ licence obtained".

So I promptly got chauffered to the local Police station to complain and present them in black and white the same LTSA factsheet mentioned above only to have them say that I was not correct even though it was all stated right in front of them! So I continued to get chauffered around at great inconvenience and cost as I deemed it too risky driving my $40K BMW around with thought if I was discovered again then it moves up to the next level of my car being impounded for 28 days on the kerbside and then a possible fine of $1000 and/or a summons to appear in court!

This argument went on for another 4 days back and forth between LTSA, Police stations, Police Infrigement Bureau and NZ immigration etc...so after nearly 10 hours (no joke!) of my time I finally cleared my name and subsequently made a complaint about the issuing officer - which has since been fobbed off as being an error "in good faith" but never mind my inconvenience and lost time!

Now I carry with me a photocopy of my Passport, Oz drivers licence and LTSA factsheet to hopefully ensure I don't go through this again! I have until November before my current 12 months runs out as I went back to Oz briefly in November last year and don't plan on EVER getting an NZ licence now after all this has happened as I will be back in Oz for good by then.

So, if you do intend to stay a while then my advice is to get an NZ licence. Otherwise, if you are here only semi permanently like me then photocopy your Passport showing your last exit from NZ (Police will stupidly ask for an entry stamp even though I continually told them that NZ immigration don't stamp it on arrival!) and your overseas licence and the LTSA factsheet and carry it with you.

End of my rant on guilty until proved innocent. Trust level of Police in general now dropped to NIL after being given incorrect information from 4 separate members of Police...

I was pulled up a few weeks ago speeding and the police took me by total surprise when they essentially banned me from driving on NZ roads until I obtained an NZ licence. I was born here but have never had nor attempted to obtain a licence here as I moved to Oz before I could legally obtain any licence. I returned on holidays many times before returning semi permanently just under a year ago. Now, obviously I checked the rules before moving here

cry cry cry

End of my rant on guilty until proved innocent. Trust level of Police in general now dropped to NIL after being given incorrect information from 4 separate members of Police...

handle,

just get your licence, trust in police has dropped to nil?.. man you rule, how does trust for a police force drop because of your 10 hours of time...

handle.

handle,

just get your licence, trust in police has dropped to nil?.. man you rule, how does trust for a police force drop because of your 10 hours of time...

handle.

As I said I received INCORRECT information from 4 (read 4 as in FOUR not just one or two members but FOUR!) separate members of Police. No matter how much I argued with them they appeared to always be CORRECT. So you work it out buddy! If members of Police can't give correct information they shouldn't be giving that information in the first place. They issue infringements based on legislation and if they don't understand the legislation in the first instance then how can it even be fair to receive an incorrect infringement? You tell me!

If you read my post you would have seen that I am returning to Australia PRIOR to being legally required to obtain an NZ licence. So why in the hell would I even consider obtaining one? I have been, and continue, driving in NZ well within the legislation.

I was not looking for a sympathy vote by putting my 2 cents worth into this discussion, merely stating a scenario that developed as a result of not having an NZ licence in NZ! I had thought it was relevant and may have been of interest to the original poster.

Unfortunately in the last 6 or so times I've been into and out of NZ, not one passport stamp...

I'm back in Aus next week but I'll be getting the NZ licence when I return.

I assume I get to keep my Aus licence? My wife wasn't sure, if you move to Aus and get an Aus licence you lose your OS licence apparently...

I am unsure of whether the NZ laws are the same. I do know that the Aussies expect you to only have once licence. i.e. they take you current one and punch a hole in it to void it.

I am unsure of whether the NZ laws are the same. I do know that the Aussies expect you to only have once licence. i.e. they take you current one and punch a hole in it to void it.

It would suck. My Aus licence is paid up til 2013...

Unfortunately in the last 6 or so times I've been into and out of NZ, not one passport stamp...

I'm back in Aus next week but I'll be getting the NZ licence when I return.

I assume I get to keep my Aus licence? My wife wasn't sure, if you move to Aus and get an Aus licence you lose your OS licence apparently...

Yes you get to keep your Aus Licence.

NZ does not have the authority to revoke your Aus Licence. The same applies for Aus as neither can confiscate another sovereign state/country property, nor can they deface/destroy/mutilate it.

None of the states and teritories in Aus require you to hand in your over-seas licence, they simply do not have that authority. They do however photcopy(a scanned PDF image of) your licence when you transfer your OS licence as a means of checking the details you provided was correct (they supply a scanned copy to that authority) with the country of origin.

Also, sorry guys, the 12 months for use of a foreign licence aplies from the first date of your entrance to reside in NZ either permanently or semi-permanently, as many a foreign resident has had the misfortune of finding out in court or after an accident when the insurance company wouldn't cover them.

I reside part time in both NZ and Australia and have struck this many times.

Funny, I have my passport stamped every time I enter NZ or Aus... Kinda wonder how you manage to get around pasport control without having your passport stamped? It is dictated by NZ law and governed international treaties, of wich NZ is a signatory...

Edited by subieboy

Not true. Our MD is a German and had his licence nailed by the Australian's. He needed intervention by the German embassy to have his German licence re-instated.

And Kiwi's cannot hold dual citizenship. Pom's can, American's can. We will let you hold whatever you like as well as ours. But Kiwi's can't hold 2 passports.

The only exception is if you travel to Israel and Arab states, you can hold 2 passports of the same kind to enter both territories, as they will not allow you to pass between the two.

A good lawyer will get you off the semi-permanancy/permanancy technicality in a heartbeat.

As has been stated here before, poorly informed cops are the norm and they are easy to beat in court. If it ever gets that far.

Edited by Cain

i hold dual citizenship.

both nz and aus.

pwn

And Kiwi's cannot hold dual citizenship. Pom's can, American's can. We will let you hold whatever you like as well as ours. But Kiwi's can't hold 2 passports.

Not true. I hold dual nationality - I'm Kiwi and Swiss. Was fun last America's cup :-)

Germans canot hold two passports, but Kiwis can.

Brook has two passports too. NZ and US. Ash (our 5 month old) is also dual NZ and US citizen.

Cheers

Grant

My wife has NZ and Dutch and our kids have NZ and UK passports :)

Oh and I have both an NZ and UK drivers licence too.

Edited by Penry

That should only happen if you are becomming a resident. Otherwise you are simply trying to abide the laws of the country your in. I have both aus and nz. Just renewed my aus licence. I told them i was no longer a resident, but that I spend time in aus every year. "No problem" was the respose.

Funny, I have three citizenships NZ, South African and UK, I hold a passport for all three countries, I have a licence in all three countries. NZ knew I had UK and South African Citizenships prior to obtaining NZ citizenship 10 years ago.

Neither of those 3 countries demanded that I return/have a hole punched in the others etc. I recently got of my butt (4 months ago) and got a Qld licence after having had a NSW licence for a few years. NZ & UK Licence got copied, and handed back to me. No damgae and no holes

Cain you also mentioned that you are allowed to have two passports (a duplicate) from the same country so you can travel between Israel and the other Arab contries/States. The US (and most if not all western countries) may issue you with a new passport at your cost, but wont give you a duplicate (especially since the new anti terror laws came into effect).

So Im Just wondering where do you get that from?

Not to mention most countries WILL NOT issue two passports to the same person (the exception that I am aware of is to those holding NZ diplomatic passports). When you are issued with a NZ Diplomatic passport your normal NZ passport is then revoked within 7 working days and has to be returned to the Issuing office upon the issue of your Diplomatic passport. You dont physically recieve the Dipplomatic passport untill you have handed in your preveous passport. I had a Diplomatic passport for a while and that is the procedure if you held a normal NZ passport prior to being issued with a Diplomatic passport). The reverse is then applicable when your Diplomatic service is completed, provided that you apply for a new passport, If you don't, then you just return the NZ Diplomatic passport.

I have traveled between both Israel and the other Arab states for business and pleasure and never had a

problem...

Edited by subieboy