Sign in to follow this  
otagomed

DSP?

Thanks for your help with questions I had last time.

I found icemag forum very helpful as well.

While I was researching I came across the word 'DSP' regarding my audio unit.

What does it stand for? Dolby surround processor is the only term i can think of. Am i right?

How do I know if my 99 328i jap nav unit is DSP or not?

I found this thing calle Blitzsafe's BMW/AUX DMX V.1

and depends on whether I have DSP or not I need to order different thing.

It says "Blitzsafe's BMW/AUX DMX V.1 allows you to easily add one auxiliary source to the factory CD Changer port. Virtually a plug-n-play installation, you can quickly add a portable MP3 or DVD player, satellite radio or any auxiliary sound source to most 1996 through 2004 BMW factory radio (see specific applications listed below). This device plugs into the two pre-wired CD changer connectors (1 is a 3-pin; 1 is a 6-pin connector) in the rear of the vehicle."

So as long as I can connect CD changer in my car I also can connect this thing to my car as well i think.

Thanks guys.

Thanks for your help with questions I had last time.

I found icemag forum very helpful as well.

While I was researching I came across the word 'DSP' regarding my audio unit.

What does it stand for? Dolby surround processor is the only term i can think of. Am i right?

I found this thing calle Blitzsafe's BMW/AUX DMX V.1

and depends on whether I have DSP or not I need to order different thing.

It says "Blitzsafe's BMW/AUX DMX V.1 allows you to easily add one auxiliary source to the factory CD Changer port. Virtually a plug-n-play installation, you can quickly add a portable MP3 or DVD player, satellite radio or any auxiliary sound source to most 1996 through 2004 BMW factory radio (see specific applications listed below). This device plugs into the two pre-wired CD changer connectors (1 is a 3-pin; 1 is a 6-pin connector) in the rear of the vehicle."

So as long as I can connect CD changer in my car I also can connect this thing to my car as well i think.

Thanks guys.

DSP stands for digital sound processing as far as i know, and its also the first 3 letters on my no. plate haha... Hope this helps anyway.

It will only be DSP if

a) you have the TV and/or nav option

B) the "DSP" menu is visible on the TV screen

They didn't fit the DSP amp (Digital Signal Processing amp) to the non-TV/nav equipped cars

DSP tended to be fitted to the top-end 5-series (like 540i) and the 7-series, with nav/TV

Jochen

You can get DSP on 7's with no tv or nav. You get a funky little screen next to the tape deck instead of the snazzy coin holder that I have.

Doe's this mean "AUX" channel on my TV could support an external device? which leads to my next Q where would the connection be?

cheers Matt

Thanks Penry, will have to have a look.

It's a bit like Aladins cave finbd somethiong new nearly every time I get in it...

cheers Matt

I dont know its there for sure, it all depends on what car you have. If you fill out the ride section on your profile then it would show up just under your name on the left and we could all do a search on the web then ;)

Doe's this mean "AUX" channel on my TV could support an external device? which leads to my next Q where would the connection be?

Yes, you can connect any device to the AV IN of your TV tuner

Camera, play station, x-box, DVD player, etc

Bear in mind the input is mono only

Video can be PAL, NTSC or SECAM

The connection is on the connector of the video module, in the boot.

On the 5-series E39, the AV IN is not cabled out.

On the 7-series E38, the AV IN and AV OUT are cabled to the rear of the centre console, in the back seat area.

If you want cabling etc i can help.