Sign in to follow this  
joshnz

Loud exhaust ... options to lessen the volume?

So I bought this twin tip exhasut off Trademe ages ago, had it put on and never really been happy with how loud it is in the cabin while cruising, just wondering what the options are to quietin it down, could pit stop or something weld in a silencer or something? lol I don't know ...

I like the twin tip look but If I have to lose that and put a stock one back on I guess I'll have to do that.

Add a silencer in line before the tip? Will restrict flow slightly more, but will solve the volume prob.

Will loss of flow reduce the already terrible power?

Any ballpark ideas on prices I would be looking at for adding a silencer in?

Will loss of flow reduce the already terrible power?

Any ballpark ideas on prices I would be looking at for adding a silencer in?

I mean seriously...just having a loud tip would not seriously increase your power...therefore the affects of adding a silencer in terms of overall power should be minimal...

Most loud mufflers do come with silencers to deal with WOF...

LOL, I knew it would be alot louder than a standard exhaust when I had it put it, but its just getting on my nerves now.

I barely passed a WOF last time round because they said it was almost too loud, I didn't buy it for the "extra power" - because there isn't any, I just liked the twin tip look.

I'll hit up a few places if I have time later in the week!

LOL, I knew it would be alot louder than a standard exhaust when I had it put it, but its just getting on my nerves now.

I barely passed a WOF last time round because they said it was almost too loud, I didn't buy it for the "extra power" - because there isn't any, I just liked the twin tip look.

I'll hit up a few places if I have time later in the week!

Yea hi,

Perhaps you should consider a twin tip muffler with a bigger box with perhaps the same tip diameter . This is because

i was told that the sound comes from a low [muffler : tip] ratio. A bigger box perhaps, hopefully someone could verify this cos i might do the same thing for my E32 its got the same issues as well.

Hope this helps.

Well I finally got around to go into Pitstop today and enquire about what they could do.

The guy a I dealt with was a complete f**king wanker - I asked for the standard exhaust to go back on and he walked off and came with with a $170 muffler and a $140 chrome tip saying it would be better ... when I pushed and said I would just like the standard pipe/muffler back on he moaned and grumbled about the standard mounts being hard to re-attach it to.  Every second word was out of his mouth was f**k - I wasn't very impressed.

His parting comment was "Come on man .. you own a BMW, spend the cash here!"

Going to go to the muffler centre at some stage (went to pitstop because they accept Qcard LOL).

Well I finally got around to go into Pitstop today and enquire about what they could do.

The guy a I dealt with was a complete f**king wanker - I asked for the standard exhaust to go back on and he walked off and came with with a $170 muffler and a $140 chrome tip saying it would be better ... when I pushed and said I would just like the standard pipe/muffler back on he moaned and grumbled about the standard mounts being hard to re-attach it to.  Every second word was out of his mouth was f**k - I wasn't very impressed.

His parting comment was "Come on man .. you own a BMW, spend the cash here!"

Going to go to the muffler centre at some stage (went to pitstop because they accept Qcard LOL).

Haters be jealouz....

I got a real surprise when I removed the single outlet and had a twin outlet tip welded onto my 320i. Like you, it was just for looks but what surprised me was how much louder the twin tips made the car. Im not sure about the E36 but the E30 has always had quite a deep note to the exhaust and I guess having a greater outlet area just lets more of it out. It doesnt sound bad, but, again, like you, it does get on the nerves a bit. Im thinking of putting in a bigger muffler into the rear to help restore the sound back to standard while retaining the twin tips.