Sign in to follow this  
NzDan

E38 affordability

HI All!

Im looking at buying a 98-2001 E38, need the size for the baby and just cause im over fast little cars.

There are a number of e38's about for good prices, one ive looked at is a 2000 728, with only 40,000km on the clock and mint for $22,000.

The thing that gives me the zhits is the fact that the E38 is on the top 10 least reliable cars in the world, are they really that bad?

Has anyone here owned one for some time and what were your experiences? ive read about what can go wrong etc, what are the service bills cost and how frequent?

Do you have to be a rich guy to keep one of these on the road? I dont wanna spend more than a grand a year! and having to take it 70km to invercargill all the time to get fixed!

Dont want a 3 series, could do a 5 but would prefer a 7, might be smart to stay jappa though, what do you think?

Cheers

Dan

Well, where do I start !

Ive had an 32 750iL for two years and nothing at all happened and I sold it for 200 pounds less than I paid for it ! Ive had a 96 740 e38 for three years now and its had a couple of issues that comes with the car hitting 100k miles but I nothing that couldnt be fixed without a little effort on my part.

If you pay NZ dealer prices then you WILL pay a fortune if anything goes wrong, but I find out what I need and do my shopping on ebay. Recently I needed an airbag sensor, 850 was the price in NZ but I got it delivered to my door for 100 from Germany :)

I honestly cant believe that they are in the top 10 least reliable cars. Its like anything else, if you dont look after it it will give you trouble.

They have dropped in price dramtically over the last three years and now are priced at what I would consider to be an absolute bargain. Cheaper than the equivalent e39 and a whole lot better.

My wife drives our 740 on the school run and it gets an awful lot of comments against the bevy of 4x4's and suv's :)

Anything specific that your worried about ?

Thanks Penry i,ll feel alot less jaded now! I guess im worried that the trans will fail, the electrics will go Ka-put, the air -con and a host of other expensive things, ive read horror stories of people spending $50k in repairs in 2 years.

I can fix the odd problem myself, (E38.org) has some good info on fixing things.

How much to services cost on average? I hear it has to be done with the correct fluids or problems can occur, what would you spend a year keeping it up and running?

got a 95 730iL (V8) E38 which we've owned for probably 8 years now. 220km on the clock and still going strong.

got a 95 730iL (V8) E38 which we've owned for probably 8 years now. 220km on the clock and still going strong.

Im feeling alot more optimistic now, (I need a E38) Are the v8's thirsty? How much have you had to spend on repairs? what were the problems? How much does a service cost at an approved shop?

Most importantly how has the experience of driving a e38 been?

I cant think of any other car right now I would rather have for a similar price.

You might want to be a bit more specific mate !

Costs....

I get about 325 miles on a full tank which costs about 125 dollars to fill up. But then the car is only used to get up and down the Wellington hills so fuel ecomony is going to be bad. Overall mpg is 17, on the open road its 30.

Unfortunately there is no crystal ball to work out repair costs. I dont consider that Ive had too many problems but of those I have its regularly in the 1000+ bracket. Be prepard to let your mechanic do some learning on the car if they havent seen too many before. Ive been surprised recently with even Page European in Wellington (used by alot of us) not knowing as much as I would expect. They are still not a common car and you may have that problem in the South.

Electrics do go wrong but your thinking of buying a facelift model and most of the gremlins will have been sorted. Dont buy an ex Singapore car, the humidity wrecks the rubbers and electrics. Make sure all the toys work and make sure you know what toys are available so you make sure you get the car you want.

These cars are heavy so the suspension can take a bit of a hammering, but thats less likely over here and dont be frightened of high mileages. NZ'ders seem to sh!t themselves when a car hits 100k klms, in the UK its hits 100k miles, these things can do intergalatic milages as long as they are looked after. Mine is now 10 years old and has done 115k miles and it still looks newer that cars half its age.

Power from the V8 is phenominal, mine has sports suspension and 18 m-parallels and it blows away pretty much everything with its torque alone. 4k revs, in fourth gear is 200kph for example and its desperate to pull even more.

The old adage is probably true....if you have to ask how expensive they are to run then you probably cant afford it !!

Put your research in beforehand and dont buy the first thing you see and you will have a absolutely stunning motor for a bargain price.

Get onto e38.org and read some of the posts on there for commom issues. In general the price of parts here is treble what they pay.

If I had my choice again, Id go for the V12 again. Around town it just 'wafts' but get it up to 4k rev-wise and the noise it makes and the power available is just sex on wheels.

I cant comment specifically on E 38s but a lot of information you get on the internet is not real.For instance if you research e 34s you will find a website that lists "what will break" Of course it lists everything than can and will break on E34s(and every other car)But unless you buy a shitbox,they dont happen all at once.At around 160,000km you can expect to have to replace some parts(radiators,hoses,maybe waterpump etc) but you will be right for another 160,000km.BMW are made to be serviced and maintained and they will go for a long time(except maybe some of the recent models with so called long life or extended services)My 1990 535 has done 220,000 kms,and is ready for another 220,000 ks.A typical service will cost 500 to 750 and occur every 30,000km.

in between the major services(inspection I or InspectionII) there is basicaly a lube or Oil service

The electric are complex so they can cause problems,not will,but maybe.There isnt anything else you could compare a seven series too....drive a few then try something else.!

Edited by kiwi535

I cant comment specifically on E 38s but a lot of information you get on the internet is not real.For instance if you research e 34s you will find a website that lists "what will break" Of course it lists everything than can and will break on E34s(and every other car)But unless you buy a shitbox,they dont happen all at once.At around 160,000km you can expect to have to replace some parts(radiators,hoses,maybe waterpump etc) but you will be right for another 160,000km.BMW are made to be serviced and maintained and they will go for a long time(except maybe some of the recent models with so called long life or extended services)My 1990 535 has done 220,000 kms,and is ready for another 220,000 ks.A typical service will cost 500 to 750 and occur every 30,000km.

in between the major services(inspection I or InspectionII) there is basicaly a lube or Oil service

The electric are complex so they can cause problems,not will,but maybe.There isnt anything else you could compare a seven series too....drive a few then try something else.!

Thats what I wanna hear! Ive driven plenty a few years ago and like you say there isnt anything you can compare a 7 too except maybe a rolls or bentley (sort of) which is out of the question!

Keen as!

Cheers

I'm fairly curious where the whole "the fact that the E38 is on the top 10 least reliable cars in the world" came from.

Hmmm the first one doesnt tell you much other than it was from 1994. In the UK in particular the e38 was brand new, much more techincal advanced from anything that had gone before and was using a Nikasil engine which had lots of problems early on. You wont have that problem.

And the second one tells you even less !

Honestly I wouldnt put anything in either of those reports. They dont give any stats and they tell you virtually nothing about how they arrived at those conclusions.

The best advice I can give is to take your time, get to know about the cars and pick the right one. You will not be disappointed.

just dont drive a 740 if you think you might actually want a 728!

A 728 will defiantely get you around town very nicely indeed, but you'll always be wondering....'what if ?' ;)

A 728 will defiantely get you around town very nicely indeed, but you'll always be wondering....'what if ?' ;)

Yes probably, I was thinking fuel economy, and engine reliability with the 728, the 740's seem to be in abundance but I cant believe a v8 can be as economical as a 2.8 six as some people have told me, am I right or should I be looking at 740's ?

A 5 series from E34 onward is big enough for a child.

You have to push a 728 a bit harder than the 740 to get it moving. The fuel economy of the V8 is good and so smooth. Once you've driven one you won't go back to the little cars.

Whatever you buy, get it checked by BMW before you cough up the money.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.as...&key=494675

Edited by Cain

A 5 series from E34 onward is big enough for a child.

You have to push a 728 a bit harder than the 740 to get it moving. The fuel economy of the V8 is good and so smooth. Once you've driven one you won't go back to the little cars.

Whatever you buy, get it checked by BMW before you cough up the money.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.as...&key=494675

we have this car which was owned by a BMW club member and well maintained 4.4 il

http://www.autobase.co.nz/custom/details.a...hicle_id=423319

assembled in germany ex singapore

regards

Alex

Edited by Alex ten Hove