Sign in to follow this  
decsnz

Noises and mechanical questions

Hi, I am new to BMWs and have just purchased a 95 318ti. It makes a sort of mechanical hissing noise when driving that increases with speed. It sounds like it is coming from the drive train. It also has a sort of ticking noise when accelerating. Any ideas? Are they normal?

Engine also seems to hesitate and does not feel like it is 100% to me. The RPM will also dip at idle and engine seems to stutter a bit

Cheers

Hi, I am new to BMWs and have just purchased a 95 318ti. It makes a sort of mechanical hissing noise when driving that increases with speed. It sounds like it is coming from the drive train. It also has a sort of ticking noise when accelerating. Any ideas? Are they normal?

Engine also seems to hesitate and does not feel like it is 100% to me. The RPM will also dip at idle and engine seems to stutter a bit

Cheers

Hissing sound? Is it not a clogged air filter? Quite commonly neglected service item.

Cheers

My Z3 also did that (had the same engine), it kept on trucking though, dont no about the ticking noise though?

Hissing/whistling noise on my car was from vacuum leaks, check your hoses. Not sure about ticking noise, a noise that sounds like rattling pebbles in an M50 engine would be the VANOS, not sure about yours?

The hissing noise sounds like ti it coming from the rear of the car. The ticking is only under acceration and almost sounds like an exhaust leak on one cylinder.