Sign in to follow this  
rogan

540 h/u removal

I'm considering buy an E39, am have a few questions about the h/u.

From what I can see there's the amp, dsp and cd shuttle in the boot. I'd be wanting to pull the whole lot out and start the stereo from scratch.

The factory h/u (which would be one of those ones with the hideaway cassete player) seems to do the carphone as well. No worries there, don't want the car phone anyway. Is there any other non-stereo functionality in the h/u that I need to consider?

Thanks

Try Jochen he is the expert in these. If you do strip it I may be interested in the Amp as mine is playing up, what type of HU does it have.

Sorry, I'd be keeping all the bits so I could put it all back in if I ever sold it.

Wiring the new unit up would be the easy bit, only need to source an ignition wire from the loom. Just really wanting to know what other functions of the car go through the h/u. Does the trip computer stuff display on the h/u

Isn't the car I'm looking at but exact same h/u:

Posted Image

Wiring the new unit up would be the easy bit, only need to source an ignition wire from the loom. Just really wanting to know what other functions of the car go through the h/u. Does the trip computer stuff display on the h/u

Posted Image

If you remove the MID (the display / keyboard unit underneath the radio) then you wont be able to set the date, time, reset the trip computer, stopwatch, consumption figures, etc.

The radio is behind the flip-up panel above the MID.

The only units in the boot are the CD changer and amplifier (if fitted)

Jochen

If you remove the MID (the display / keyboard unit underneath the radio) then you wont be able to set the date, time, reset the trip computer, stopwatch, consumption figures, etc.

The radio is behind the flip-up panel above the MID.

The only units in the boot are the CD changer and amplifier (if fitted)

Jochen

Thanks Jochen.

Thanks Jochen.

PS: you could always, if you wanted, put the MID in the glove box or the boot, then you can set and control the car computer items.

The MID only needs 4 wires to make it go: +12V, +12V ignition, ground, and databus

Easy to fit in the boot.

Yep, that was one of my other trains of thought. Another option I've got in my head is to try and find one of those MIDs with the large centre screens and then butcher it and fit the double din h/u into the middle of it while maintaining the dash display functions. Don't think that would be as easy (although it would be very stealth) and probably hard to get one of those MIDs cheap enough to butcher it.

Suppose I'd better buy the car and drive it for a week or two first.

Another option I've got in my head is to try and find one of those MIDs with the large centre screens

??? There is only ONE MID for the E39

You may be confusing the On-Board Monitor (Bordmonitor) with the MID.

The Bordmonitor is a totally different device, and cannot control the car's trip computer unless a navigation computer is fitted.

Don't think that would be as easy (although it would be very stealth) and probably hard to get one of those MIDs cheap enough to butcher it.

Nope, not possible, unless you fit the navigation computer and the entire retro-fit wiring loom, which is a major job. and then if you are going to do that, you may as well keep the TV and navigation functions.

I really need to buy the car and have a good look at what the MID does first. If I get one, the MID would have to go in favour of my h/u but there may be another option, using a standalone processor and an optical shuttle.

Jochen, any idea what the connection to the CD shuttle is?? Is it the standard Alpine ainet or something different?

Thanks

I really need to buy the car and have a good look at what the MID does first. If I get one, the MID would have to go in favour of my h/u but there may be another option, using a standalone processor and an optical shuttle.

Jochen, any idea what the connection to the CD shuttle is?? Is it the standard Alpine ainet or something different?

>> a standalone processor and an optical shuttle.

???? you have me totally lost. Do you mean a Car-PC?

>> any idea what the connection to the CD shuttle is??

Yes. 12V, ground, and BMW ibus databus. The BMW ibus is used extensively on BMWs (and Mini, Range Rover, Rolls Royce etc), but not on any other brand car

The ibus is NOT the same as Alpine ainet.

>> a standalone processor and an optical shuttle.

???? you have me totally lost. Do you mean a Car-PC?

No an Alpine H701, you can control this by a single din size faceplate and I've got an Alpine shuttle with optical out. Was hoping the BM stuff used ainet in which case I could have linked it all together, kept the original headunit but gained all the eq/time alignment and processing features mixed with the sq of the optical shuttle.

Unfortunately the bm seller is messing me around so this may all be in vain

Yep, that was one of my other trains of thought. Another option I've got in my head is to try and find one of those MIDs with the large centre screens and then butcher it and fit the double din h/u into the middle of it while maintaining the dash display functions. Don't think that would be as easy (although it would be very stealth) and probably hard to get one of those MIDs cheap enough to butcher it.

Suppose I'd better buy the car and drive it for a week or two first.

I think I can get you an aftermarket head unit installation kit through one of my suppliers ill look in to it then get back to you.

Its basicly a filler panel with a single or double din hole in the middle. :D

Ok, have bought car, now time to do more planning.

Anyone know how to pull the MID and casette out (looks like a 1 piece unit to me). Remember reading somewhere that I pull the volume knob off and undo somethere there and the whole thing pops out ?? (edit: found it again http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/5-series-...oval-38014.html )

Just want to temporarily pull it out and have a look at the space available for a h/u

Edited by rogan

Ok, have bought car, now time to do more planning.

Anyone know how to pull the MID and casette out (looks like a 1 piece unit to me). Remember reading somewhere that I pull the volume knob off and undo somethere there and the whole thing pops out ??

Just want to temporarily pull it out and have a look at the space available for a h/u

there is a few ways depending on wich HU came in it.

is the photo the car you brought??

there is a few ways depending on wich HU came in it.

is the photo the car you brought??

No but same, here's a pic of the actual car, has the cassette above the MID

Posted Image

And one of the car itself

Posted Image

Edited by rogan